Chapter 13 - Home Sweet Home

Gojo sat alone outside a coffee shop, sipping a coffee with one hand and looking out. He had been lost in thought for some time over many things, and the last few weeks had left him with a lot to think about, especially what to do next. He glanced at his phone, checking the time with a small sigh, gulping his drink down.

"I suppose you Devil Hunters were never taught to be here on time, huh?"

Makima sat down with a firm smile. "It is you who was late, Satoru Gojo, twenty minutes in fact; I grew tired of waiting, so I went for a walk."

Gojo glanced at Makima across the table, putting his cup down and shaking his head. "Let's cut to the chase. The Council still isn't happy about how events played out between you and DK. They want answers, ones I couldn't care less to get. But I'll ask one thing: how did you infiltrate Jujutsu High and steal Y/N from under our noses?"

"Come now, Satoru, do you really need to ask something as obvious as that? It seems you're struggling under sudden pressure from all parties. You're babysitting two Special Grade Spirits like it's a nursery. Your Council is becoming impatient, and now more Special Grades have gotten bold enough to attack your school and kill one of your students. If I recall correctly, Kyoto had a similar incident a year ago; anyone looking in can see you're beginning to crumble."

Gojo returned a similar smile, wagging his finger. "And might I ask how did all those situations go for us? We won every single time. I appreciate your concern, Miss Makima, but the Jujutsu Sorcerers are doing just fine."

"We would be willing to help you with your Special Grade problems. Three are running around, making your life a misery. Two have already come into contact with Sukuna's Vessel, and the third attacked you."

"And it was fine; he was weak." Gojo brushed off, leaning back and sipping his coffee. "Even if I, for whatever reason, decided to take you up on the offer, there's always a catch with your deals, Makima; it's always been that way. Why would no be any different."

Makima poured herself a coffee, adding four sugars. "I still cannot convince you to join the Devil Hunters. You'd be doing the same with your group but on a much larger scale, and I would ensure the pay is very good also."

"I get paid enough working where I am, thank you very much," he pointed out, frowning. You know why I won't work for you, Makima? I really don't like being told what to do."

"And your Council doesn't do that itself? No, you needn't answer that; I already know your Council has no control over the likes of you."

Gojo put his cup down, smirking. "Something we can both agree on, come out with it then; you didn't invite me out just to catch up on times I'd rather not remember. What do you want?"

Makima, seemingly dodging the question, leaned forward, keeping her low tone going with another smile. "The Jujustsu Sorcerers and Devil Hunters have tolerated and allowed each other's existence to go on for quite some time now. I am hoping the little hiccup caused by your student isn't going to burn any bridges. It is in my best interest that we keep this alliance going for as long as possible. The last thing we need is a war between us."

"Of course you don't; that would be problematic for you if I were ordered to kill you."

"I would agree, but as you said, you're not the type to follow orders." Makima returned, only getting another chuckle from Gojo. "Which is why I came to apologise and part you with a gift of our own." 

Makima took out a small box and opened it, making Gojo flinch ever so slightly as he saw one of Sukuna's fingers. "Why do you have one of these?"

"It shouldn't surprise you that our Department is also concerned about the King of Curses. Hence, we've done our research on one of the fingers. We didn't find much, not any more than you have. Therefore, there is no reason to keep holding onto it; I'm sure Sukuna's vessel would find much more use than us."