Chapter 8 - Through the Looking Glass

I sat back, sipping on a bubble tea I had brought, looking at it unsure. I gave it another sip, humming. "I don't know about this one, chief; this flavour doesn't really scream wow. This is seriously the big wow factor right now?"

DK shrugged, took a sip, and spit it out. "You humans have strange tastes in drinks. I demand Coca-Cola next time!"

"You know I don't drink that stuff, DK; the sensation of fizz in my mouth is yucky," I complain, continuing to try my bubble tea. "Should have gotten the mango flavour."

I was sitting in a cornered-off supermarket that had been evacuated suddenly. I decided to glance through the lunch aisle, going through rice balls and other choices. "What to choose, what to choose?"

Several Cursed Spirits were torn apart and destroyed as Megumi's Devine Dog piled through the food isles, leaving nothing standing. I gave a small half-winded clap, going back to my choice. Megumi leapt over the counter, catching eyes with me, clearly annoyed. "You're meant to be helping, you know? How are you meant to get stronger if you never put the effort in."

"Putting effort in is for those who are weak trying to get strong. DK and I are already as strong as it is." I smirk, unpeeling a Rice Ball packaging and taking a bite. "Aint that right, DK?"

DK sat on my lap, sighing. "There's no point in me agreeing with you; this weakling won't hear me."

"Oh yeah, that's true... Can you lend me a hand here, DK?" I raise my finger, shooting a small trickle of blood out from my bandages, cutting down a Cursed Spirit that looked to ambush Megumi. "Moaning about others during a fight leaves you distracted, bud."

Megumi grunted as his Devine Dog finished off the straggler Cursed Spirits. I finished my lunch, pushing 1000 yen by the tills. I gave my attention to Megumi, yawning. "Is that all of them?"

"No thanks," he grumbled. "If you're not going to do anything, why bother sticking around?"

"That's a good question. It's fun seeing you try so hard over simple Cursed Spirits. Plus, if I were to ditch you, you'd like Gojo, and that's the last thing I need." I frown, walking through the Supermarket. "Have we checked everywhere?"

Megumi met with me from another aisle, pointing to the warehouse. "This is the last one to check; maybe actually do something this time?"

"We'll see," I responded, placing my hand on the door, my whole body shivering. A jolt of energy flew through me, causing me to freeze. Something was wrong here.

That feeling was burned away as I felt a soothing voice call out to me, saying my name. And then a bell. In a blink-and-you-miss-it moment, the door was gone; I stumbled forward, finding myself in what looked to be a Japanese Inn, Ryokan. The tatami mats beneath my feet were worn and frayed, bearing the weight of countless footsteps that echoed in the silence. Cobwebs stretch like veils across the wooden beams overhead, casting eerie shadows that dance across the walls.

Paper lanterns that once illuminated the space now hang dim and lifeless, their flickering flames extinguished long ago. Burn marks mar the walls and floors, leaving behind a trail of mysterious origins that only add to the sense of unease. Beyond the lobby, the corridors stretch out endlessly, their shadows seeming to shift and twist as if alive. Each door I passed was shrouded in thick layers of webbing, sealing away whatever secrets lie within. "DK... What is this? DK?"

There was no response. She wasn't here. She's never been here. I felt a little bit more on edge until that voice came out again, soothing me into submission. It lingered me to the source.

"Y/N... I'm here; you've found me. Come home, Y/N." That voice, there was no doubt about it, that was my Mother.

I felt... Compelled to see her again. The voice was drawing me in, and nothing else mattered.