Chapter 16 - The Woman They Call Beowulf Part 1

Start from the beginning

"I understand if you are... Upset, you feel betrayed, and I do not blame you for that. But please, listen to Mum, she... We did what we did for a good reason."

"Yes, we did." Mother pauses again, the words having left her again. It takes longer than usual, almost like she has forgotten her lines before speaking. "The Christian Sorcerers of the Vatican would have come for you; they would have deemed you too dangerous to be left alive."

"Me? Why? Was it because I was the vessel of Bloody Mary? That ship sailed long ago; I'm clean."

"No, dear, because of the box you possess." This got me to fall silent. It hit hard; it was like right on cue. I could see the exact rotten box in the corner of my eye, trying to draw my attention. But Mother spoke up again, forcing my attention on her. "Your Father was obsessed with that vile tool as was his Father before him. The Madness of the Kronos Family has burned through for hundreds of years, and all sources point to an impossible box. One that appears and disappears, one that exists outside the realm of existence. A box of secrets, a box of lies, a box of truths."

"Father left it in my care when he passed... I don't understand; if it's a Family heirloom, why would the Vatican be so afraid of it?"

"It's not the box they fear, Y/N; it's you," Beowulf whispers. For hundreds of years, the box had laid dormant. No one had been born into the Family with the potential to open it—no one until you."

"M-Me? Wait, has no one else been able to open the box? Not one?"

Mother sighed, going to speak before stopping, unable to find the words. Beowulf stopped her from continuing herself. "Listen, Y/N, what we tell you is the truth; you are the first one with the potential to open that box. You're a catalyst with the potential to surpass even the likes of Satoru Gojo."

"What happens if I open the box?"

"W-We don't know. It's never been opened before, but if the Vatican is afraid, it cannot be good," Beowulf said, holding her hand out. "Y/N, hand me the box."

"What?"

"I won't ask again, give me that box."

****

DK began walking to her room, still stumped about the whole situation; she wasn't sure how to take any of it, nor if it had really sunk in Y/N's Family was alive. A few thoughts had blended around and cooked; the one that kept playing back over and over troubled her.

Does Y/N need me anymore?

She couldn't get this thought out of her mind. Even if Y/N was adamant about leaving, should she just let him? Or should she step in and say something? Passing the hallway, she saw Butler Jenkins standing staring at the wall; he was walking on the spot, getting strange looks from DK. She approached, clearing her throat. "Ugh, you alright pal? They're not working you too hard, are they? Or maybe not enough..."

Jenkins turned to DK, smiling. "Good afternoon, Master Y/N. Would you like some tea?"

"Huh, old geezer, you need to get your eyes checked; I ain't Y/N."

Jenkins paused, clearing his throat and smiling still. "My apologies, Master Y/N. ████ ███████ ██████ ████ ██ ███████ ██████."

DK was left even more baffled as Jenkins's words came out in a harsh, sharp-winded tone; he was just screeching with no words, no form, no sentence.

"I am not part of █████████ story. I have no part, █ ██ █████ I cannot help you."

She paused, more concerned now as Jenkins kept walking on the spot, holding his arm out, pretending to hold a tray. Before she could say anything, one of the guest rooms opened up, and Miwa poked her head out, having just had a bath wearing a towel around her head. "Hey DK, Y/N still talking to his parents?"