11. the jet

We all pile on, discussing animatedly. "I think Y/n's theory is more logical," Reid states, "I'll side with her." JJ hums, "Well, Luke does have a point about forensic countermeasure. I'm going with his theory." "Alright!" I cheer, "Finally, a proper bet. Haven't had one in a while." We troop towards the jet, discussing what the losers will have to do.

"What about drinks at O'Keefes?" Luke suggests, letting me on the jet first. "So basic," I laugh, "We should make it more fun. Especially since JJ bet against me." She gasps, "Y/n, you wouldn't dare." I turn to her with a grin as I drop my bag under my seat. "Oh, baby, I would," I tease her softly. We sit together at the four top, Spencer next to me, and JJ across. We keep our voices low, because Emily and Tara are already on the jet.

"I know, losers buy winners a lap dance at the strip club," Luke grins. I burst out laughing. "God, can you imagine Spencer's face getting a lap dance? Look at him already, he's all red and flustered," I snort, and laugh harder, making the three of them join in. Tara glances over at us. "What's so funny?" she wonders. I can't stop laughing, so I wave at the three of them to tell her. JJ says, "Well, um." She looks at me and I shrug, still giggling. Alvez finally says, "We made a bet. And we are trying to decide what the losers have to do."

"Is this a bet that will help us on the case?" Emily's patronizing voice immediately cuts through my laughter. "Actually, Chief, it does. Keeping a sense of humor on the team helps keep the spirits and morale up, no? Not that you would know, because you never come out with us to know what our bets are even about half the time," I can't stop the words as they come out, and I glance at JJ in shock that I said what I did.

"Damn, Y/n, just lay it all out there," Luke mutters. "Shit, sorry," I hiss at them. Emily doesn't bother responding. I grin and take that as a win, until I realize that she has Garcia on the conference call already. We dutifully gather, so we can keep discussing the case. Once we are finished, we return to our seats, but I'm stopped by a hand on my wrist.

I glance down to see Emily glaring at me. "You and I need to have a little chat later," she growls. I flick my eyes to Tara, but she's buried in a book already, headphones on. Emily's grip on my wrist tightens, and I turn back to her. "Emily, you're hurting me," I say softly. Her eyes widen and she immediately lets me go. I rub my wrist as I go sit back down.

I fucked up, and I know it. I've dug myself into a hole, and there's no escape. I sigh. It's better if she hates me. Reid jabs my side with his elbow. "Come on, Y/n, we are going to play cards," he says. "Sorry, I don't want to play," I say, rummaging through my bag for my headphones, "Maybe on the flight home." I stand and move to an empty seat, away from the rest of the team. I put in my headphones, and close my eyes as the music plays.

My mind wanders, and I let it. I didn't bring Emily's jacket with me, not that I'll need it in California. Why would I purposely make her more mad at me? That wasn't my intention, I don't think. I wanted to push her away, but I think I went about it the wrong way. Back talking the Chief was a fatal mistake.

I'm jolted awake when we land. No one came to check on me during the flight, which I am grateful for. I had wanted to be alone to begin with. I rub my eyes, and pull my hand back in surprise at the wetness on my face. I was crying? I don't remember that. I scrub at my face, attempting to clear any signs of my distress.

It doesn't work, because when I go back to grab my bag, JJ pulls me to the back of the plane. "Hey, love, you look like shit," she says. "Oh, thanks, Jayje," I say sarcastically, "Feel like it too." She gazes at me with a look that borderlines pity. "Go to the bathroom, Y/n, freshen up. I'll wait for you," she says softly. I listen, locking the door behind me. I stare at myself in the mirror, suddenly not recognizing the woman looking back.