Late Night Thoughts

Megumi Fushiguro is not a mean person. Despite general belief, and what he may look like to everyone else, he isn’t.

He’s never had a problem with this perception of him, even as a jujutsu sorcerer. People can see him however they like. It’s not like they know him. They never will; they don't try. So what’s the use of acting better than he is? If no one bothers to look further, that’s not his problem. He’s been on his own forever. Well before Gojo-sensei took him in. Well before he had the capacity not to be alone.

He knows this. He does.

So why now does he feel as though he should…act nicer?

Everyone at the academy has already met him. They all have their opinions, even Kugisaki. Even if he did switch his demeanor now, it’s not like anyone would change their view of him. And he doesn’t care. Obviously. Right?

Right. He ponders this harder and harder as he sits on the kitchen counter, watching the moonlight shift. Which he’s been doing for days, as he can’t seem to fall asleep. Completely unrelated, of course.

The moon he’s been watching reflects against the knives on the wall and casts light right onto Fushiguro’s face. It’s deafeningly silent, as if any sound is afraid to even approach him. He wouldn’t be surprised. That’s how most people treat him, after all. Scary. Unapproachable. Mean.

He shakes that feeling away and sighs. Maybe he really should start acting nicer.

“Fushiguro?”

The voice, sweet in its nature, scared him so bad he nearly jumps right off the counter. He doesn’t, thank god, because it’s only Itadori.

“What are you doing? It’s past midnight.”

Of course he’d be here. Of course he’d be the one to catch Fushiguro so far inside his own head.

“I…couldn’t sleep.”

Jesus. Way to sound defenseless. He cringes, hoping Itadori won’t look too far into that. Hoping even more that he’ll go back to bed.

He doesn’t though. “Yeah, I get it. It’s kinda hard to sleep in these dorms!” Stupid Itadori. Of course he’d be oblivious. “Something eerie about them, I swear.”

Fushiguro could’ve been blinded by his smile, so bright and full of bliss. How is that even possible? How is it possible to be so ignorantly happy in a career like this?

“I guess,” he says, still not meeting Itadori’s gaze.

He doesn’t notice, though. “Well…since we both can’t sleep, want to get something to eat?”

He almost smiles at that. Leave it to Itadori to fix a bad situation with food. Granted, it’s only Fushiguro that’s in a bad situation, but still. It’s not like Itadori knows that.

He doesn’t even realise he hasn’t answered until he looks up to find Itadori’s inviting eyes holding a puzzled look. “Oh, sorry. Yeah. Sure. Whatever.”

He smiles that damn smile again. “Is there anything you’re in the mood for?”

Fushiguro shrugs. “Whatever you want, I guess.”

He watches in mild horror as Itadori pulls out two ice cream bars from the freezer. Yet Fushiguro can’t say anything against him. Him and his stupid smile.

“Come on, let’s eat them outside! The stars will be out, I bet.”

Itadori is halfway through his third ice cream before he says anything.