The Ruling on the Ice

Start from the beginning

He seems to have reached the end of the story, so Moss glances back up at his brother.

"That's what brings us here," Eli holds his eye contact, suddenly looking nervous. "I want to apologize to you face-to-face."

"Eli-" Moss starts to say, intending on arguing that he has nothing to apologize for, but Eli cuts him off.

"Stop it. I do owe you an apology. I know that Shane did a lot more damage in this situation, but I could've done better during all of this."

He leans forward a bit, still maintaining eye contact, "I'm sorry for not fighting back against Shane when you told us about your relationship over lunch. I'm sorry I ran away with my tail between my legs when you were trying to be open with us. I'm sorry for not reaching out to you over the last couple of months. And I'm sorry that we made you put our feelings above your own. None of it was fair to you and I'm gonna try my hardest to make it up to you if you'll let me."

When it seems like Eli has finally run out of things to apologize for, Moss gets up from his chair and closes the short distance between him and his brother to give him a tight hug. Eli stands up to his full height so Moss isn't bent over awkwardly trying to embrace him.

With a watery laugh, Moss speaks into his chest, "You weren't the main problem here, Elly. I appreciate the apologies and I forgive you, but our whole family played a part in all of this."

He pulls back from the embrace to stare at his baby brother.

"I really want us to try to get back to how we used to be. Even if that's just us talking every once in a while over FaceTime about whatever's happening in our lives- big or small," he expresses.

Eli yanks him back in for another tight hug, "I'd like that too, Mo."

After a moment, Eli takes a step back.

"Now that that's all cleared up," he quickly wipes his eyes with the sleeve of his sweatshirt, "you and Tye also need to have a conversation. I'd rather not be in the room for this, so I suggest you guys talk in the bedroom and I can watch TV out here."

Moss' chest feels tight with fear. He has been actively avoiding looking at Tye this entire time, but now he reluctantly turns to meet his gaze.

Tye is already staring at him. He looks even worse than Eli, with noticeable eye-bags, his soft hair sticking up every which way and an anguished look on his face.

Seeing him in this state makes Moss want to throw up with the guilt he feels knowing that he's the cause of it.

Eli gently nudges his shoulder to get him to speak.

Clearing his throat, Moss says, "You're right. Tye- do you want to come with me?"

Tye stands up without hesitation, startling Moss a bit, but he quickly recovers and leads them to the bedroom. Moss closes the door after Tye enters and then sits on the bed patting the spot next to him for Tye sit as well.

They are staring at each other, both unwilling to be the first to speak.

Eventually, Tye breaks the silence.

"Do you really want to break up?" He asks so quietly, Moss barely hears it.

Unfortunately, however, Moss does hear it. As soon as the words register to him, he begins to sob. He bends over and presses the heels of his hands into his eyes as if he's trying to collect the tears before they fall down his cheeks.

Despite everything that he's put Tye through, including this embarrassing reaction to a simple question, Tye gently embraces him in an effort to comfort his weeping ex-boyfriend.