30. A bit of a shocker

Start from the beginning

It was first made for that exact reason, since Turos like to be safe after eating, but it was mostly used by them to hide from annoying or scary customers.

Still, it was interesting seeing that Toru was so complacent, plus, it seemed to not be afraid or even uncomfortable around the Turos, which was very nice to see.

After this, the three of them had practically nothing to do for quite a while, so both Tegnuk and Ri went to clean up while he went to finish up paperwork.

While working, he got on a call with some other friends, who he hadn't seen for a while to catch up and plan out when to meet up again.

.

Finally, he finished all that he had to do and just before he was about to get up from his chair, Ri came into the room, holding a tablet with Gint on a call.

They said hi to each other and Gint started talking as Ri left the room to continue cleaning up the mess that the vine juice left on the plates.

Basically, Gint had managed to get a hold of one of the gene sequencing machines they had for a couple days, so they could use it to learn and maybe confirm whether or not Toru was a pet.

The way this worked is, they would simulate a new Toru with its genes and use it to see its behavior, if its similar to how it is at the moment, it's a lone animal, if not, it’s a pack animal, and if it wouldn't survive without help, it could be a pet, or just very reliant on a pack, along with a lot of useful information.

This was exciting to know and so he called Ri to come over, who arrived shortly thereafter.

Gint then continued, explaining that because they only had access to the machine for a short while, they didn't need as much information as they expected, since it would have to be a little bit less precise.

Both Tonuk and Ri were silently very relieved at this, since they hadn't finished the document, but this was fairly nice.

Finally, the short call ended with Gint telling them to send them some of Toru’s cells with a mouth swab and where to send them.

They said their goodbyes and were now tasked with somehow getting Toru comfortable with them holding their claws to its face.

Still, they weren't too worried, since it slept on their bed a couple times already, so it was probably fine, still, they'd be careful.

They went back to the Turo room, but it was still empty, so once again, there was nothing to do.

Remembering that they had the tablet, Ri decided to follow up on the police investigation situation, since by now they probably were done.

He sent the message and surprisingly, the police answered immediately, though they still had to wait three minutes for the message to get to the other planet, and three minutes back.

But still, it was some good news, as the police department explained that the investigation was now public and the crime scene was cleaned up.

They quickly realized that this likely meant they wouldn't be able to get much out of the place now, since all tracks were long gone by then, but still, maybe they could find out something from the investigation while someone else made a proper search of the place for Toru's tracks and stuff.

The document started off with quite an unexpected title: "2 poachers found dead on Firve rehabilitation resort"

This was, odd to say the least, but to summarize, the article went like this: "2 Dije poachers infiltrated the Firve rehabilitation site to hunt for fun, were found dead with gunshot wound and oddly placed claw marks, which were found to be related to a torn claw found in the floor with unknown fingerprints.

There were a lot of traps and collections of logs, assumed to be the work of the poachers, along with a lot of different structures and small tools made with animal parts.

Along with this, the skin of many different animals were found, along with bone piles.

The animal bone tools and structures were used as evidence to start an investigation on their brains to search for any traits for psychopathy, but this investigation is still going on"

Both Tonuk and Ri had to take a moment to process this, fairly shocked and fairly disgusted, but at least the Turos were starting to finally come out of the cave, which helped distract them from the shocking news.

They started to try to push away the thought of that article, thankfully there weren't any pictures, other than that of the wooden structures.

They laughed a bit at how every Turo that came out had ruffled, unkempt hair, which they then immediately mocked each other for, before finally helping each other get cleaned up.

Toru was one of the last to come out, coming out with a horribly tangled up head, which he was then also laughed at for a moment before multiple Turos went over to help him out.

Fun fact:
Along Tonovo history, violent crimes have been almost completely eradicated, with basically every single one of the very few being caused by accidents or instincts.

Basically, the Tonovo discovered and evolved language before everything else, and they stayed like that for most of their existence, with only language, not even fire or tools.

This meant that they had a lot of time to develop how to behave around others and how to educate children correctly and etcetera, so most Tonovo and the Dije after they were discovered, are pacific, along with their stealth based survival techniques and mostly herbivores diet playing part on this.