A Heart-Stopping Heart-to-Heart

XY

"Double Team!" Ash's command rang into the sky, a metaphorical starting pistol for the Pokémon at his side. In an instant, Froakie and Fletchling disappeared— Copies of the latter and clones of the former flying through the air at frightening speeds. Colliding, they soon faded into a growing cloud of smoke that hung over the battlefield.

At the center of it all was Ash, coordinating the evening spar with expert direction and an ecstatic grin. Nights like these were what he lived for. Moments like these were what sent his heart racing.

Only two copies remained now: Froakie up high and Fletchling down low. It was time to finish this.

"Crash!"

Fletchling soared and Froakie dived, closing the distance in an instant. The sheer pressure of the former's wings sent out shockwaves, yet it did not disturb the latter's speedy descent. Finally, with a fierce cry that sent shivers even up Ash's spine, the two crashed in mid-air. A plume of smoke and water blew out, signaling the end of the pair's training.

"Whoa, whoa, I gotcha!" Snapping to attention, Ash started backing up, looking up at the plume of smoke for his Pokémon. After a moment, Froakie and Fletchling fell straight down. "Aaaaand, gotcha!"

With a laugh, Ash caught the two of them, holding them close as he cheered.

"That was awesome! You guys are getting this routine down!" he declared, coming to a stop while his Pokémon came to.

"Froa-Froakie!" Froakie answered first, a bit roughed up but no less pumped than Ash was.

"Fleeeeetch." Fletchling stirred then, singing a snide comment at Froakie that he quickly picked up on.

"Froak!?"

At a distance from the intense sparring session, Serena sat, her attention lost in the sight of the three training. She didn't know what it was, but today's performance was particularly dazzling.

The display of movement and speed, the coordination through it all— Serena was never not impressed when she saw Ash at work, but it was moments like these that really reminded her just how seasoned of a trainer he was. His sheer confidence, standing right below the exchange of blows, was captivating.

So captivating, in fact, it distracted Serena from the task right in front of her.

"Fenn!" Fennekin yipped from her spot on Serena's lap, pulling her attention back to their nightly routine: grooming.

"Right, sorry, I'm such a scatterbrain today," Serena explained with an awkward laugh, returning to her thorough brushing of Fennekin's fur. "Ash trains like this all the time— I don't know why I'm staring tonight— I'm sure I'll find some other opportunity to watch— Maybe later tonight when—"

Fennekin rolled her eyes as Serena rambled on and on, eventually prompting a sigh and an understanding yip.

"Huh?" Serena watched as Fennekin hopped off her lap, motioning her head towards Ash with a nod. After a moment, the message clicked. "Oooh thank you Fennekin! Tomorrow I'll give you double the brushes, triple!"

Giving one final thanks, Serena slipped off, leaving Fennekin and the rest of camp behind. Her partner gave her one last smile and another teasing eye roll as she ran off.

With a quick hop and a skip, Serena approached Ash, catching him while he was recalling Fletchling to her Poké ball. It seemed it was time to switch up the training.

"You guys are on fire tonight!" she called out, grabbing Ash's attention just as Pikachu hopped out. Dipping his head back, Ash spotted Serena's approach and grinned.