Chapter XXIV - Unknown Trial

Start from the beginning

"Victor." He looked closely at the elegant jewelry on the woman's chest. "That's a beautiful brooch. My grandmother had an identical one."

"So, you insist on calling me old?" Her snark has returned.

"I'm sure you have a very youthful spirit, Agatha."

"And you look like you were born in the 1400s. Are you trying to become some hermit? You've got the wash-up drunk hobo look perfect."

His lips stretch. It felt so wrong and foreign to smile, especially with this unknown woman. He shouldn't be doing this. He shouldn't smile. Not here and not with her... But there was something weirdly familiar about her. Victor pulled out Sylvia.

"I'm working on my herb. My previous way is unavailable, hence why I need the soil of Salem."

Her eyes grow big as she saw the needle. A small purple fire shined within them. She then looked up and down at Victor and asked.

"May I take a peek?"

"Pardon?"

"At your plant, dear." She rolled her eyes. Agatha moved her slender fingers around the needle. Gentle purple mist poured out of her skin. After a few seconds, she looked back at Victor with her burrows furrowed. "You are trying to create an illusion, no, a hypnotic plant."

Victor swallowed hard. This really isn't what he needed right now.

"Yes, but it's hardly finished."

"Obviously." Agatha snorted. "Still, it's been a while since I met someone who is creative with magic. Your idea with the soil of Salem is good, but it won't be enough. Even if it was, I would not let you."

"I didn't ask for your expertise, Agatha, nor your permission." Victor took a step back and felt thin purple strings binding his limbs. The magical threads pushed into his skin, almost cutting him.

"Once again, you are very rude, Victor. This place has sentimental value to me, and I won't allow some half-dead boy disturb it." She was holding those threads like a puppeteer.

Victor narrowed his eyes, and the purple strings turned bright blue and disappeared. Agatha was now positively ecstatic. She licked her lips like a starving shark.

"This is order magic! Aren't you just full of surprises, Victor."

"You know it?"

"I know almost all there is to know about the mystic arts. My mother used it. Although, her version was far less refined. You seem to channel this energy like you were made from it." Agatha moves around like a cat. Her finger slowly moving through her lips. For a second, Victor felt like she was going to attack him. Her weirdly familiar eyes showed a dark and murderous intent. But then she stopped in her tracks with a small laugh she said, "Perhaps we can come to an agreement."

"I'm shaking with anticipation." Victor tried to hide his ragged breath. Even such a simple action made him lightheaded. This wasn't just the case of being out of practice. Fighting is not his best option right now.

"I help you with your plant and in return, you share your entire magical knowledge with me."

"You are serious?"

"Of course, I am, dear! I pride myself on my magical knowledge, and you know things I don't. I can't allow that. Would you prefer if I ripped it out of your body? You look like my breath alone could kill you." Her fingers keep moving, daring him to challenge her.

"Why, do you want to help me?" Since Agatha saw right through him, Victor just dropped to the ground. He took another sip from his flask. The woman's face grew gentler as she raised her fingers and whispered.