Chapter III - Red and Blue

Novi Grad, Sokovia, 2015 — Ultron Attack

Tony Stark POV

They are going to correct his mistake. He was going to correct his mistake. All the Avengers, both old and new, were rushing to Novi Grad to stop Ultron. Failure is not an option!

"Boss, there is a power fluctuation in the city." Said Friday into his ear.

"Well, no shit. Ultron is there."

"Yes, but this is entirely new. I cannot pinpoint the source of energy, but it is coming from the south edge of the city. Ultron is also there." Friday showed Tony a small map and the directions to the place.

"If Junior is there, then that's where we go." Suddenly, a big explosion rocked his destination. "And we go fast." He put more power into his thrusters and pierced through the sky. Tony transmitted the latest information to all the other Avengers and reached the site. Stark saw a boy; he could not be older than the Wonder Twins. The boy had his fist covered by blue light and was trading blows with Ultron, at least he tried. His suit picked up the boy's shaking body as Ultron kept pushing him back. Tony rushed down. Suddenly, Ultron grabbed the boy by his throat and used him as a human shield. Tony cursed and had to land next to them.

"I thought I taught you better, junior than to pick up on boys smaller than you." Tony saw Ultron smirking.

" You still cling to your funny quips, Stark? I thought you would drop the act at least once. Given your absolute failure."

"Let him go, Ultron." The boy struggled against Ultron's iron grip. Tony's repulsors were pulsating, ready to be unleashed. "You were supposed to protect people, or did you forget your mission?"

"I've long stopped carrying about your mission, Stark. You all try to evacuate the city when there is no escaping the inevitable." The boy's eyes turned icy blue. He opened his mouth and spit out a swarm of insects that, instantly, covered the entire Ultron. The boy was thrown to the ground, and the bugs were actually biting into his carapace. Tony wasted no time and released thick beams of energy, pushing Ultron away. Unfortunately, the insects disappeared in a puff of smoke, and Ultron rushed the boy again. Tony intercepted them, and they engaged in an air fight. Stark led Ultron away from the boy, luring him closer to the center.

Victor Faust POV

God, his throat hurt, and his arms and legs... And he should stop whining. Victor stood up while fighting the pain. That was the bloody Iron Man. This day cannot get any crazier. He started to go back to the city. If what Ultron said is correct, the Avengers are already in the city. He needs to help, there is no way they can get everyone. Victor started to feel like his body was getting better at handling magic again. He did not use any significant spells since he ran away from his father. In hindsight, he never should have stopped practicing.

The city was turning into an actual war zone. The streets were riddled with burned-out cars and chunks of buildings, not to mention twisted and bent trees, lamps, and bus stops. He made sure to pick out as many bots as he could, not that he had to try hard. These things rushed at him like hungry dogs. From the rubble, he managed to pick up more civilians. He sent all of them to the path he cleared out. He made steady progress until he felt a new sensation like the edge of a knife was slowly trailing through his neck.

"Magic..." He whispered and started to run. His mind tried to reach out to the source of foreign magic. He could have sworn he knew this person. Victor ran until he reached a bridge where two people, clearly Avengers, defended civilians from these blasted machines. One was a man who looked to be in his forties, and he was using a freaking bow of all things. The other person was a girl with long dark hair and an elegant face, despite the dust and drops of dried blood on her pale skin. She spread a shield made of red energy, protecting the terrified civilians. The red mist radiates such... extraordinary magic, so full of warmth, even if Victor does not know its source. Suddenly, the girl dropped the shield and got hit by a blast from one of the bots.