Chapter XVII - When Plans Fail

July 24th, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2018

Wanda Maximoff's POV

"I think this is the first time we've finished a mission without any major property damage." She mused while holding her beloved's hand under the night sky of Scotland. Her silver bracelet and his signet glittered like the stars above them. "Which makes me both happy and sad."

Victor seemed discarded lately. Wanda thought it was due to the secret mission Steve gave them, but now she wasn't so sure. The lamps and neon that surrounded the street seemed to bounce back from his focused gray eyes. She squeezed his hand, trying to get his attention.

"Victor, I was thinking maybe we should pay Stephen a visit." Her lover shook his head as if waking up from a dream.

"Come again?"

"Since we moved through your entire library, perhaps we can ask Strange for some more material? I think you've memorized every magical book in Faust's arsenal." She fixed her long coat.

"That's not a bad idea, actually. We shouldn't get rusty." Victor stopped abruptly and slowly licked his lips. Unusually, this action caused her worry. There was something weighting his soul, and she didn't know what it was. He stubbornly kept his left hand in the pocket of his form-fitting jacket, though. However, before she was able to voice her concerns, he spoke.

"Wanda, before we fly back home, there is one place I would like for us to visit."

"Oh? You didn't tell me you wanted to sight see." She tilted her head slightly and smiled encouragingly. "You could've told me sooner, darling; I don't mind."

"I've heard Arthur's Seat has a great view during the night." His gaze softened as he pulled her closer. She immediately snuggled into his warm and strong chest, inhaling the wonderful fragrance of forest and flowers.

"My romantic."

"Only yours, Wanda." He kissed her head gently. "So, shall we?"

Before Wanda was able to respond, a red streak knocked Victor to the ground. Chaos magic was already leaving her fingers when she recognized the streak.

"Vision? What are you doing here?"

The android stood up while helping Victor get on his feet.

"You have the absolute worst timing, Ketchup." Victor murmured while dusting his clothes off.

"I need your help. I'm being-" He screamed as the Mind Stone beamed with the intensity of a sun.

"What's happening?" Victor's grumpiness was replaced by genuine worry.

"Please, Wanda, I require you to inspect the stone. I know we left on less-than-ideal terms, but you two are connected, and I find myself desperate. It's been warning me of something, but I do not know why." Wanda started to sense the all-too-familiar iron knot that tightened in the pit of her stomach. This was the first time she saw fear on the android's face. She slowly waved her hands, and a thin red mist coiled and flew into the Mind Stone. However, aside from feeling the radiant energy inside, she felt nothing.

"I'm sorry, Vision, but I feel nothing."

"I think I've found your warning." Victor got their attention as he was looking at the working televisions from behind a shop's gallery. They were broadcasting news about an attack in New York and the sudden disappearance of none other than Tony Stark.

"Stark is gone." Wanda felt the knot getting even tighter.

"They attacked Strange, too." Victor took a long look at Vision. "They attack Stephen, and the Mind Stone is acting crazy. They are after the Stones, aren't they?"