Chapter 17

(((MOONPAW'S POV)))

Moonpaw sat glumly beside Alderheart, poking the soggy leaves in front of her.

She was supposed to be gently stretching them out to dry, but she'd already accidentally torn three.

"Moonpaw, I understand that you're upset," Alderheart began, full of sympathy.

"But you're a medicine cat and you've got work to do. You made a choice, now you're stuck with it." Jayfeather finished unsympathetically.

Moonpaw glared at him and bit down on her tongue to stop herself from screeching things at him.

Alderheart blinked at Moonpaw understandingly and tipped his head to one side. "Do you want to go take a break?"

Jayfeather snorted and rolled his eyes. "I don't know where I went wrong mentoring you, Alderheart." He muttered.

Moonpaw nodded slowly. "Okay."

Moonpaw squinted up at the sky outside of the medicine den, annoyed that it was still raining.

Is StarClan angry with Bramblestar? Well, don't soak my nest just because you're mad at my leader!

Moonpaw looked around for Shadepaw or Icepool to talk to, then stopped.

They're gone.

Heaviness pricked at Moonpaw, and she tried not to think about what she'd done.

I guess I'll just have to improvise.

Moonpaw padded over to Flamepaw and sat down next to him. "Hi."

Flamepaw blinked blankly at her as if she had grown rabbit ears. "Um...hi?"

Finchpaw dropped one of the brambles she was using to strengthen the nursery's walls. "Flamepaw? A little help here?"

"I can help too," Moonpaw offered.

Flamepaw glanced at her as if she might claw his fur off at any moment. "Err...it's okay."

Moonpaw watched them go, disappointed. 

Why doesn't anyone want to talk to me?

Moonpaw looked down at her paws.

Do they all think I'm a traitor?

Moonpaw looked around, deciding to search for someone else.

Surely not every cat is avoiding me?

Squirrelflight was pacing in the clearing, giving the camp entrance guilty looks as if she thought she should've gone after Icepool. Bramblestar was inside his den, and Sparkpelt, Bristlefrost, and a few other cats had just finished a patrol.

Maybe I can talk to Squirrelflight.

Before Moonpaw could speak, Squirrelflight started organizing patrols and the camp busied it iself.

Moonpaw dropped her head onto her paws. 

Should I have gone with Icepool?

(((FLOWERPAW'S POV)))

"So our father is really the ShadowClan medicine cat?" Shadepaw asked as soon as they left the ThunderClan camp.