Blessing In Disguise

Start from the beginning

"See anything you like Mickey?" The teasing tone tells her that you're joking, still she can't help but let the blush take over her face.

"Sooo, do you need a ride home?" She questions once again, looking on as you ponder for a second.

"Yeah sure, if it's not too much trouble." Humming, the Irish woman lets you lead the way out of the room before walking shoulder to shoulder with you.

The drive back to your temporary home was uneventful, the two of you talking about the club and your expectations. The way she waves at you when you step out of the car makes you all giddy.

Surprisingly, the only thing you can think about when you settle into your bed later that night is the Ireland captain. It's like she turned your world upside down with one simple look into your eyes.

Your phone buzzes beside you on the bedside table, Mr. Photographer having sent a text with all the photos from the day for you to post.

Thankfully, the announcement of your arrival to the club had been made earlier, so you didn't have to worry about that.

Still, you pick your phone up and scroll through the photographs he sent you, finding the best one of you and Katie together.

You can't help but giggle as you type out the caption to the instagram story, the picture of Katie barely reaching your shoulder is hilarious in its simplicity.

'Taller than I look, right Mickey?' You typed before tagging her and posting it. Oh how you already love the team dynamics.

——-

"You dick!" The soft smile on your face turned into a full fledged smirk, Katie's loud voice booming all throughout the hallway.

Before you can comprehend what's happening, Katie jumps on your back, her momentum bringing you both down to the floor.

You can't help but groan at the impact, your ribs feeling slightly bruised. On top of that, you still have Katie sitting on your back, laughing like a madman.

Turning around with her still on top of you, you're able to relish in the way Katie's eyes widen slightly before going back to normal.

Soon enough, Katie herself starts to smirk at the suggestive position you've found yourselves in. Her hands creep up to settle on your stomach, muscles contracting under her.

The clearing of someone's throat interrupts you two, you trying to scramble up from the ground with a weight pinning you to the floor.

When you realize that Katie isn't getting off of you, you decide to take drastic measures.

Placing your hands on her waist, you lift her off your body without much struggle. After that you pull yourself up from the floor, offering the Irish woman a hand to pull herself up with.

"I thought you needed to hit the weights." Katie's hand comes up to squeeze your bicep, you flexing it for her.

"I do Mickey, maybe we can go together sometime?" Now your hand is up at your neck, rubbing it nervously.

"RIGHT move it along people, we've got training in 5 minutes. You two can flirt later." Lotte calls out playfully, one of her hands on either of your backs pushing you forward.

Your face is overtaken by a dark blush, Lotte exposing you.

"Yeah, yeah Lots, you're just mad that your boyfriend's away" Katie responds rather snarkily, shooting you an over the top wink.

———-

Week by week passes at the club. The happiness that you once missed out on was now present every second of every day.

There was one thing that laid at the back of your mind though, nagging and eating away at your conscience.

You're in love with Katie, your absolute best friend.

She's everything you've ever wanted in a girl. She's funny and kind, she's great with your parents and your siblings. Not to mention that she's incredibly attractive.

It's impossible not to fall for her.

Funnily enough, it was just as hard for her not to fall for you. You two were supposed to be friends, not lovers, and yet that's exactly what you were becoming.

Less than friendly kisses shared behind closed doors, cuddling on the bus and at home, texting whenever you're apart. She would even steal your clothes, taking your trousers after spending the night together and leaving her own. Yeah, going into training that day wasn't fun.

It wasn't official or anything, you were both just enjoying each other's company.

Well that is until your ex decides to contact you again, despite being blocked.

——

"Micks, could you bring me a glass of water?" Katie moves around your kitchen with ease, already splitting her time between her own flat and yours.

You hear her hum and then the splashing of the water meeting your sink. The movie you're watching is paused, the two of you cuddling whilst watching it.

Just as you can hear Katie's sock clad feet moving back towards the living room, your phone buzzes on the table. Picking it up absentmindedly, an unknown number flashes across your screen.

Pressing accept on the call, you can soon hear the obnoxious voice of your ex-girlfriend screaming.

Pulling the phone away from your ear, Katie looks at you curiously.

"Y/n I wanna get back together!" The slightly intoxicated girl screams at you.

"No. Emilia, I told you never to contact me again so don't." Speaking firmly into the phone, you can see Katie's eyes harden in recognition. She did know of your ex after all.

"I was wrong. Take me back." She drags out every syllable, slurring her words simultaneously.

"I'd rather let a tractor drive over my foot."

"But I'm perfect for you" Katie's hand comes down to take the phone from your grasp, prying it out of your fingers.

"Are ya now?" Her usual playfulness is gone, voice stone cold.

"Who are you?" Emilia's shrill voice cuts into both of your eardrums, Katie looking at you in confusion.

How could you date that? She whispers to you, laughing a little when you shrug.

"Her girlfriend, you intolerable shit. If you contact her again I won't hesitate to knock your teeth out." Her low, threatening tone did something to you. She raised a single eyebrow at your Arsenal red face, making you blush that much harder.

Just as Katie's about to hang up, you take it from her hand.

"Emilia, you breaking up with me was truly a blessing in disguise, it brought me the love of my life. Have a great life." After that, you hang up and throw the phone to the edge of the couch.

Settling on top of the Irish captain again, she starts to run her hand through your hair. The action makes you melt into her body, a content smile forming on your face.

"So I'm the love of your life?" The sharp Irish accent cuts through the air, teasing zing to her words.

"So I'm your girlfriend?" You counter back, feeling her hand still from their movements. "Ask me."

"What?" You pinch her sides lightly, the hand she was using to play with your hair slapping the back of your head.

"Ask me to be your girlfriend Mick."

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Despite her trying not to sound nervous, you can hear the slightest tremble in her voice.

"Of course Mickey." Moving up, you lean in to kiss her softly, lips moving against the other's.

"So will you finally tell me where you got Mickey from?"

"Nope"