Ch. 17 ✨The Truth Is Served✨

Začít od začátku

Even though he isn't here, just seeing his face makes me shudder to the point I have to wrap my arms around myself to keep steady. 

"You found out that the demise is actually an Overlord. But you've been blind to see that the man you've been looking for...has been right under your nose since day one."

The scene changes again, this time, Donovan standing in front of a black crystal ball, laughing softly. Inside the crystal ball, I see something that makes me throw my hands over my mouth in horror. 

Alastor. 

I look at Elizabeth, feeling the world crash down on me, and I'm not able to hold its weight. "Donovan..." I whisper shakily, "he's the Overlord that's killed others with this demise? HE'S the one killing Alastor?"

Elizabeth nods.

All along...this motherfucker was right there, right in front of me. Lying to my face and trying to act like a friend to both me and Alastor. When really...he's killing Alastor in secret. But why? What could he want and gain from killing Alastor?

"He wants you," Elizabeth says suddenly which makes me jump a little, though she ignores my reaction and continues speaking. "He'll do anything to get you, too. Which is why he's killing Alastor."

"No, no no no," I step backwards, my knees wobbling so much that I end up collapsing onto the moist swampy ground, my hands thrown over my face as I try to control my breathing. 

This can't be real...this has to be a nightmare. If I just pinch myself, I'll wake up in me and Alastor's king size bed in his mansion. When I wake up, Alastor will tell me good morning, kissing my forehead before slipping out of bed, full of energy with a wide smile on his face as he tells me it's time to greet the world with a smile. 

When I wake up...there won't be a demise killing Alastor. Or Donovan. None of it will be real.

Please...please let me wake up from this nightmare. 

Elizabeth kneels in front of me, her hands lowering mine so that she can see my face. Her E/C are bright, and sparkling in this moonlight that casts down upon us. 

As I stare at her, at the face of the woman I used to be, and the face that Alastor had fallen in love with when he was a young man, I can't help but wonder...if I stare hard enough, will I be able to see all those memories that were forgotten when I was born?

Will I see how Alastor acted towards and around Elizabeth, and is it any different then how he acts with me? Will I see all the sweet, romantic moments shared between the two, the kisses, the hand holding...

Will I see it all? Or is it out of my reach?

"There is a way to stop this, to defeat Donovan, Y/N," she whispers, squeezing my hands, "the crystal ball."

...a crystal ball? The one that I saw in that little cloud bubble that played the scenes of Donovan standing beside it? 

"What do you mean?"

"The only way for Donovan to reach through to others, is through that crystal ball. All his powers are tethered to it. If you manage to sneak into his home and find that ball, you must destroy it. Do that, and Donovan loses all his powers..."

My eyes widen, when a memory plays in my head of the small conversation me and Donovan had on the balcony hours ago. He told me that he abused the powers Lucifer gave him...does that mean that the crystal ball was a gift from Lucifer to Donovan, who then twisted it into dark magic?

I swallow the lump in my throat. "I don't even know where he lives?"

Elizabeth stands up, bringing me up with her. "He lives nearby actually. Everyone believes that he lives in another circle, when actually...you need only look down."

My brow furrows, before realization sinks in. Down...as in, underground. 

He lives underground, beneath Pentagram city...

"You need to go there first thing. You need to destroy that crystal ball before Donovan unleashes the final part of his plan. Please..." she squeezes my hand, the look of desperation filling her face and eyes as she whispers. "You need to save him."

Save him...

My heart pounds in my chest, as I stare at the woman whose soul reincarnated into me. The woman who gave her life to save Alastor's human self.

Who truly, still loves him...even in this ghost form. 

I reach out and hug her in a comforting way. "I'll stop this, whatever it takes."

When I pull away, I notice how Elizabeth is beginning to sparkle a golden and white color, as bits and pieces of sparkles detach from her, but she still holds her smile, as if unaffected by the whole thing.

"I believe in you," she says, her voice echoing. "And when this is all over...may you and Alastor be blessed with all the happiness in the world."

"Wai-"

Suddenly, everything goes black. And Elizabeth is gone. 

★★★

I gasp, sitting up in Alastor's bed, breathing heavily as my mind replays everything that happened seconds ago. 

My heart pounds hard against my chest, and I raise a shaky hand to where it pounds, trying to steady myself by breathing in and out slow breaths. 

I feel Alastor's body shift beside me, before his hand touches my leg. 

"Are you okay?" he whispers, still in a half-asleep daze, his eyes shut and his breathing slow and steady. 

I feel like breaking down crying right now, knowing who's causing Alastor to be in this state, and my encounter with the ghost self of Elizabeth. 

I inhale a breath. "I'm fine. Everything...is fine."

"You're lying," he responds. 

I shut my eyes. "Yeah, you're right. I am lying..."