8. Speak Friend

Freya

The chiming of my alarm rouses me, my whole body regretting the fact I must head to work this evening—just three more hours, please.

I slip my hand out from underneath the covers and silence my phone, grumbling and complaining as I drag my sore body up into a sitting position. A hefty yawn takes over as I rub the sleep from my eyes, my stomach growling loudly. I exhaled, picking up my phone to check my grocery delivery status, pleased to find the order marked as delivered.

Right on time.

As I get out of bed, the cool air hits me, causing a wince. Someday, I'll have a place with better insulation, I hope. I pull on a hoodie and stumble out of my room, headed to the door, and the freezing autumn air feels like a bitch-slap to my sleepy face as I swing the door open. "No! What the hell?"

The delivery isn't there, and I mumble out curses as I open the Uber app to double check the delivery information.

As I thought, the address was indeed correct, so I took a closer look at the delivery photo, only to realize the groceries were sitting on the wrong door mat. The Uber guy dumped them at the wrong address.

"Damn it..." Slipping into my Birkenstocks, I plan to snoop around and find my delivery. The cold makes me hiss as I shut the door behind me—but this should be a quick trip, I won't need to grab my big coat. I schlepp over to A101 first, and I'm relieved to find their door mat matches the one in the picture. I chuckle, appreciating the Tolkien quote "speak friend and enter" on it.
Sure, the doormat is cute, but where the fuck is my food?

I knock loudly on their door, hoping sexy Brad will be the one to answer. He seemed nice enough, and I wouldn't mind getting to feast my eyes on him again. Several seconds pass before I hear the lock clicking, although there was no sound of footsteps which I find odd. I just assumed Brad would naturally have heavier footfalls with how tall he is. The door swings open, with a soft "creak," and much to my pleasure, it is Brad. His hazel eyes widen a bit when he sees me, and a friendly smile crosses his face as we lock eyes. "A102! Nice to see you again." He leans against the door frame, one hand casually resting upon his hip. Brad is shirtless, every muscle perfectly defined, and it's a delicious sight. A guy like Brad would probably never be interested in me, but he's ridiculously hot.

"Uh yeah, Freya, remember?" I babble nervously, offering a smile as I shove my freezing hands in my sweatshirt pocket. My cheeks feel like they're burning and my stupid, desperate eyeballs can't stop wandering across his toned, muscular body. He's so pale that he almost looks a bit sickly, but somehow, he makes that look sexy too.

"Right, I remember." Brad returns the smile and gives me a curious once-over. " So, how can I help you, pretty girl from A102?"

"P-pretty..." More heat rushes to my face, soaking up his little compliment because I am a lonely, overworked woman starved of affection. If Brad wants to compliment me, I'll gladly accept it; I just don't know how to respond to it without sounding more pathetic than I already feel.

He chuckles softly. "Is there something I can help you with?" His perfect lips curl into a knowing smile, almost as if he's fully aware of the effect his words have on me. 

"Oh, r-right! Yes, that. So, I had some food delivered earlier, but the Uber guy dropped them off on the wrong door mat, see?" I held my phone out so he could see the delivery photo.

Brad murmurs a soft "ah" as he studies the picture. "Well, I hadn't seen the delivery, but let me check with my roommate. He might've answered the door and just assumed it was mine. You good to hang tight for a few?"