SEVEN | THE EVALUATION

Start from the beginning

"Ahh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks," Jess whispered in thanks before turning her attention back to Fortin.

"Assignment to your PHAs was based on your preference and grades, so, if you did not get the PHA you had hoped for, I can only say that you should have studied harder." Fortin paused for a moment before adding, "The results of your PHA assignment will be announced at the end of today's evaluation."

Whispers could be heard as students exchanged their reactions to the results being released after the evaluation was over. Fortin waited for the excitement to die down before finishing, "I will now hand it over to Coach Brodi who will explain the three tests we have prepared for you today."

As Mr. Fortin went to take a seat at the table for the scouts, a tall, buff man walked to stand in front of the students. "Welcome." His rather soft voice caught most of the students off-guard and sounded rather comical in contrast to his tall, strong frame. 

Kean raised his brows in reaction to the man's voice and lowered his head to hide the smirk that was threatening to show. Stryke, however, was awe-struck, and he gazed at the man with star-shaped eyes. It's Coach Brodi! The Coach Brodi!!

"I am Jodi Brodi. I coach the varsity team for Jozai Specialized Academy, and I will be the referee for today's evaluation." At the mention of his name, the students on sports teams dropped their jaws in awe. Jodi Brodi was notorious for being the best varsity coach in the nation. His team at Jozai had won three years in a row, and he had a total of eight wins from the various teams he had coached.

"Now, today's tests are no-contact and will be completed individually. However, I am still going to lay down some rules. Absolutely no shoving, pushing, kicking, or any type of physical contact. No starting before this whistle blows." Brodi then motioned to the whistle hanging around his neck. "And thirdly, no questioning or arguing with the results. We are professionals, and we will score each of you fairly."

"And now, to explain what you will be doing today." Brodi motioned at the sprint lane behind the students as he began, "The first evaluation will be to test your highest run speed. A four-yard-long treadmill has replaced the gym's sprint lane and will be used to record your top speed. You will have no more than two minutes to amp up to your max speed."

"Next," Brodi said as he gestured to the obstacle course. "Next, you will complete the obstacle course. There are sensors everywhere that will record your speed and proximity when running around or below obstacles. It will also record your grip strength when pulling yourself over objects as well as your height should you jump over anything. The time it takes you to complete the course will affect your overall score, so keep that in mind."

"And finally, you will climb to the top of the column." Brodi motioned toward the climbing column stationed just after the obstacle course. "Again, sensors are in each grip and node to track your strategy for getting to the top. Once you reach the top, climb onto the column and slide down the rope in its center to complete the evaluation."

"You have fifteen minutes to stretch and warm up starting now. Good luck, everyone." With that, Coach Brodi left the students to their devices and joined the scouts and Mr. Fortin as they observed the students and their interactions with each other.

"You gonna be okay?" Wen inquired of Lay as he saw his friend staring at the climbing column.

"Hm?" Lay sounded as he moved his gaze to Wen who was already on the gym floor stretching his legs. "Oh...mm, I'll be fine," Lay answered as he joined Wen on the floor and began stretching his hamstrings. "That one may be a hassle, though," Lay said as he gestured to the climbing column.

"Yeah, I'm not sure about that one, either," Wen agreed with his friend as he brought his legs to his chest and looked at the climbing column. The column was fifty feet tall at a minimum and looked rather daunting. However, on the bright side, the column's surface was flat and did not mimic an actual rock wall's curves and waves. So, that would make it easier to complete.