𝟐𝟐 ✯ barbecue

Start from the beginning

Rhea's curiosity gnawed at her, but she knew that pressing Mak for answers would only lead to more cryptic responses.

Trying to distract herself from the mystery, Rhea turned her attention to the family gathering taking place in her backyard. The smell of grilled burgers and the sound of laughter filled the air.

However, as she glanced over at her stepdad Dean, a shiver ran down her spine. There was something about his demeanor, a subtle shift in his gaze, that sent chills down Rhea's spine. It was as if there was an underlying darkness hidden beneath his friendly facade.

As Rhea stood by the grill, flipping burgers with her mom and her younger brother, she couldn't shake off the feeling of being watched. Dean's eyes seemed to linger on her for a moment too long, and a sense of unease settled in the pit of her stomach. Was it just her imagination, or was there something more sinister behind his seemingly innocent actions?

She couldn't help but wonder if there was a connection between Mak's sudden departure and the strange behavior of her stepdad. Was there a hidden secret that tied them together? Rhea knew that she had to tread carefully, for unraveling the truth.

As I enjoyed the lovely fresh breeze I just couldn't get that book out of my head. Was the book and the house connected? I was frustrated and confused with everything. Mak and his brother's left to do— God knows what.  And I can't believe I'm saying this but I fe𝐥𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞.

We all sat and ate our food in the dining room peacefully. "This is good dear." Dean said

"it is." I added 

"Mom knows her food is good, you guys don't got to keep saying it." Rafe stated

Mom laughed, "thank you guys."

"Mom, what do you know about venator's."  My question made everyone eyes focused on me

"Hmm, venator sounds Latin."

"It is."

"You're such a nerd." Rafe said

"What is this about Rhea? Is this for a school project?" Dean face filled with curiosity

"No I'm just asking."

"Venator in English is hunter, when we're saying hunter it can mean varieties of things. Like Animal hunters, Treasure hunters, Deer hunters.. etc" Mom explained

"What about Vampire hunters?"  I eyed mom.

Dean eyes locked on mines as I continue to ask questions. "Vampire hunters aren't real."

"I never said they were." I stared back at him with my squint eyes.

"What is this about Rhea?" Mom asked

"I'm just curious."

"I don't really know too much about those fantasy stuff but I'm sure a museum knows." 

"Can I go tomorro—

"No." Dean stated

"Since we're you my dad?"

"Uh." Rafe slouched in his seat

"Rhea are you out of you're mind?! Don't talk to him like that, I want you to apologize right now!"

I eyed my mom and Dean at the table, "I apologized."

I didn't.

"You're 18 now why do you need to ask to go somewhere?" Rafe said

"As long as she's living under my roof she has to follow my rules." Mom stated

I rolled my eyes and went upstairs. "Are you serious!" She yelled at the table.

Yes, I am.

If she won't let me leave to find some answers then the only thing I could do was to sneak out.

And that's what I was going to do.

Just to find some answers.