Chapter 2

The dungeon main door opened. Someone had arrived. Footsteps echoed in the hallways, and a metal cane tapping to a rhythmic beat. Viktor and I had been stuck here for the past 7 hours, staring into space, rethinking life, finally something interesting was going to happen.

I saw a dark shadow of a tall, plumpy man, wearing a cape that stretched out to the floor, and a cane. This had to be the infamous Grand Councilor. He turned to our cell and stood out the bars watching us suffer.

"Good day children! How was prison life? Horrid, isn't it?" The councilor asked grinning. His smile was a disguise, he wanted something, and he was not going to leave without it.

"It is quite awful around here, thanks for asking! Can you please let us out, please?" I begged, placing my two dirty hands together and bending forward. Viktor was still repressed, looking ever so interested in concrete bubbles.

"Glad that you mentioned that. I have a proposition for you both, which one of you does it can go. They will be free to leave this dark void." He paused.

"But..." I knew there was a catch. I was desperate for a way to get out and help.

"You must tell me two of the rebels' secret hideouts, and what they plan to strike next." He calmly recited, he just asked Viktor and I to betray our nation, and then leave knowing that we committed treason. All the hope in my heart drained, I could not do it. Then all I did would have been useless.

My face had become pale white, and I turned to Viktor. He and I shared a look, we did not know what to do. Instantaneously, Viktor stood up, rose from the doldrums he had fallen into and started to talk.

"I am in favor; I shall do it!" He shouted loud enough for the whole building to hear. My spirits plummeted, the one friend whom I trusted enough had fallen for the trick. It was a stab in the back, was he this stupid? I grabbed my friend's legs and pulled them.

"Are you out of your mind! Viktor please, you should not do this. Please do not, Viktor!" I screamed, tears streaming out of my brown eyes, my grip on Viktor's legs tightened, he shouldn't do this. He pulled away, the strength he could have used a long time ago, now used in perfidy.

He was a deceitful little humbug, and a traitor for trusting and heeding the enemy. Viktor Reidner, a boy whom I thought to be loyal, proved himself credulous and nonsensical. I loosened the grip and fell back, my backbone slamming against the stone brick. For the past few days, Viktor left the cell often to feed information to the councilor, for his selfish reasons.