16 | set me free

It was still dark outside when they were called out of their wards

Sarah felt a bit normal that day, maybe it was the pills or the drowsiness they induced by them. She sat for her breakfast with the others and it was the first time she had an appetite to eat. Across the table, a young girl who actually looked minor grabbed her attention. It was not the way she was playing with her food, not even the cut marks on her arm, but the fact that the cuts were fresh as if they were inflicted some hours back.

The girl suddenly got conscious of Sarah's constant stare and quickly pulled her sleeves down to hide them. However she realized that Sarah was still looking at her.

"Please, don't tell them." The girl whispered in Sarah's ear. "I'm Riya. You're the new girl, right?"

Sarah gave her usual blank look.

"If they get to know about this, they will again take me to that red room." There was a panicked look in the girl's eyes. That took Sarah by surprise but she still chose to answer her with silence.

The girl left the table after she finished her breakfast without waiting for Sarah as was not really into the conversation. Sarah stayed there for a while trying to eat whatever pathetic food was served to her. Although she lost her appetite completely due to what she had witnessed earlier, she swallowed the food with great difficulty.

Soon after the breakfast as a tradition of the asylum all of them were taken out into the garden. They believed fresh air and the sunshine could help them heal faster. But for Sarah, it was like a nightmare to deal with so many people together. Her phobia to the crowd and the asylum people were making her feel as if her guts would come out of her mouth. She paused for a while at one of the windows across the corridor. 

She looked out of the window and lost herself in the infinity of space and time.

It was her ninth birthday. She woke up with the sound of wheels screeching outside her window. She wished, at least this time her mother would bake her a cake like Khushi's mother did for her. Though she looked out of the window for something else, she couldn't control her eyes and mind from looking at the happy girl, walking down the alley with her mom holding one of her hands and her father holding the other.