Chapter 18: Blood and Lies

Stella's POV

I made my way out of Caleb's office and as soon as I got out, I ran towards the dorm and went to our room. Isinara ko 'yong pinto at napaupo ako sa sahig. What did I just hear?

It took me an hour for me to compose myself, and walked away from the dorm to our classroom. Pagdating ko roon ay nakaupo na si Caleb sa usual spot kung saan siya nakaupo. His hair is still on a curtain style, but it was a bit messy this time. He's reviewing and reading something on the book that was at the table in front of him.

What are you hiding, Caleb? What is it that you want from us? May kutob akong hindi ito tungkol sa School. This is more of a personal grudge or a family secret. Why are you trying so hard to look for dark magic users?

Tumabi ako sa kaniya, kaya napalingon siya sa akin. I don't know how to act right now, but I'm still trying my best to compose myself. I can't back out now. I've gone a long way and I already know some details. I have to do everything I can to find out where the other dark magic users are.

If Caleb is doing this for his family, I'm doing it for my family as well. I have to go back home with my Dad and Julian, safe.

"What? You're looking at me again with that look," Caleb said kaya naman napaiwas ako agad. I didn't even realize that I was staring at him.

"What look?" I asked, while trying not to stare at him.

"That look as if you're trying to read me. I'm not a book, Stella. You can ask me what's bugging your mind," sagot niya. If only I could, I would've asked the one thing that is bugging my mind. Why can't I be angry with you despite hearing everything?

Deep down inside me, I feel like there's more of him that I need to know. Pero ayaw kong masira ang plano namin ni Mama. Ayaw kong dahil dito sa hindi maipaliwanag na nararamdaman ko ay masira lahat ang pinaghirapan namin. I don't have the time to be distracted by you, Caleb.

"I've heard about the First Great War of the magic users. The final battle was mainly about Absolute Force users and Dark Magic users. What do you know about it?" tanong ko. Alam kong mas may alam siya tungkol sa nangyayari, and I don't want to raise any suspicion, but I know that through Caleb, I would know more about it.

He sighed and started flipping a page on the book. "Is this because of the training yesterday?"

Tumango na lang ako. "You're an absolute force holder, your clan is like the hero of this world."

"Not anymore," sabi niya at umiwas ng tingin na para bang ayaw niyang pag-usapan 'yong nangyari. "If you want to know more about the great war, come to my office later after all your classes. I can let you borrow my book about that."

The class went on and I was nervous of Caleb, finding about me being in his office earlier when he was talking with his Dad. Mabuti na lang at sa ibang subject ay hindi kami magkasama, kaya kahit papaano ay gumaan na rin 'yong pakiramdam ko. But on that subjects, I'm in the same class with Kaia which does not make any difference with Caleb.

"Naibigay mo ba?" tanong ni Kaia, pagpasok na pagpasok ko sa classroom.

"I-I did." Muntik pa nga akong mahuli ng Dad at Kuya mo, gusto kong idagdag. Pero umupo na lang ako at nagsimula na 'yong klase. Honestly, when I look at Kaia and Caleb, I don't see any bad aura from them. It's more like Caleb is being compliant about what his Dad wants, but he doesn't have his own decision.

I wonder, what would happen if Caleb would make his own decision about everything? Would he still follow his Dad? Are we still going to end up fighting each other? Ang daming tumatakbo sa isip kong mga tanong, pero alam kong hindi ko rin naman 'yon masasagot. Not until the truth would surface.