Chapter 9: Trust

Stella's POV

Julian led me to his office. He said that he's one of the Council of Sovereign Academy.

May ilang mga estudyanteng napapalingon sa amin, maybe they were wondering why I'm with Julian, or they were thinking I must be new here because my face don't look familiar. Napapaiwas na lang ako hanggang sa makapasok kami sa office niya na nasa first floor ng building.

His office was more of an office vibe than Caleb's. He has a wooden table with swivel chair as well, but his table was full of papers. There was a stained glass on the upper left part of his office which was the design of Sovereign Academy's crest—a horse with a man on it, who was holding a long spear. His room was rather tidy than messy, the same with Caleb's.

I stopped and almost hit myself. Why do I keep on thinking about that guy? I have to stop doing that from now on. Wala lang 'yong magandang maidudulot sa akin.

"Why did you bring me here?" tanong ko kay Julian. He told me earlier that he's going to tell me something about my Dad which was the sole reason why I followed him here. "What do you know about my Dad?"

He slightly leaned his body in the table and stared straight at me. He crossed his arms on his chest and I could feel his intense stare. "If you're wondering if your Dad is okay, he's fine."

Kumunot 'yong noo ko. "Paano mo nalaman? Is he here? Sabi sa akin ni Mama, iniwan kami ni Papa para magturo sa Sovereign Academy. I want to see him–"

He cut me off. "You can't." His voice was firm, almost like he's making me believe his words. "He used to be a teacher here, yes. But not anymore."

Mas lalo akong naguluhan sa nangyayari. Wala kaming alam ni Mama na hindi na siya nagtuturo dito, o baka alam ni Mama at hindi niya lang sinabi sa akin. Ano pa ba ang hindi ko alam?

"Then where is he?" tanong ko. He looked straight at me as if he's reading my thoughts.

"He knew you'd come here, so, he told me to tell you that he's okay. That you should tell your Mother to stop looking for him," sabi niya kaya tuluyan na akong hindi nakapagsalita.

First, he hid the fact that I'm a dark magic user. Then, he left me and Mom to work here. And now, he wants us to stop looking for him? I don't know what to feel anymore. Habang lumilipas ang mga panahon ay mas lalo akong nagagalit sa kaniya. Maling-mali na pumayag ako sa usapan namin ni Mama na mag-aral dito at sagipin siya.

I was about to leave Julian's office when he held my hand and slid some paper on it. Magsasalita sana ako pero tinitigan niya ako sa mata na para bang sinasabi niya na dapat akong umarte na parang walang nangyayari.

As confused as I was, I just looked at Julian and nodded. I understood what he was trying to say and walked away from the office.

Nanginginig 'yong kamay ko habang mariin kong hawak ang papel na inilagay ni Julian doon. I don't know what's in it, but I know it has something to do with what he said to me.

Dumiretso ako sa Main Hall kung saan nandoon din ang mga katulad kong bago sa Sovereign Academy. When I got there, the other students were talking to each other, murmuring.

"Good day, Sovereignians!" An older lady stood on in front of the podium, who was wearing a maroon skirt and a white neat polo sleeves on top. Her hair was blonde and she has this bloody red lipstick on her lips that is emphasizing her white fair skin. She looks younger than her age, if she's a teacher here. "We want to welcome you to Sovereign Academy!"

All the other students clapped, except me. I was still holding the paper that Julian gave me earlier. I can't just open it here because I know that there's a reason Julian gave this to me that way. He's not the type to do something like that out of nowhere.

"This would be a new school year for all of you. New friends. New home. We are all going to accept you in open arms," she said. For some reason, her gaze dropped at me as if she was speaking directly to me. "I hope everything goes well this year."

I gulped and I could feel the tension already. To think that I would live here from now on. It's kind of scary knowing that something might happen to me in here and no one would know from outside. I just wish that I could carry on my plan.

We were given two keys before we left the Main Hall. One for our locker, one for our dorm room. Thalia told me before that I would have a roommate and how I wish it would be her so that it could be less awkward.

Umakyat agad ako papunta sa dorm room kung saan ako naka-assign, dala-dala ang mga gamit ko. I took a deep breathe and opened the door, then a huge room showed up. There were two beds inside, one on the side of the window, one was attached to the wall. What I was expecting was far from what I saw.

It was a cozy-looking room. The bed sheets were neatly clean and it was white so, it was pleasing in the eye. There are also bedside table for both beds and the one on the window side was bare, it means no one owns it.

I turned my gaze into the girl who was laying down on the bed next to the wall. She has a long brown straight hair, and she was holding a book.

She tilted her head when she saw me and she closed the book that she was holding. "You must be Stella."

"Y-Yeah." Crap, I don't know her. I don't even know how she knew my name.

"Your bed is on that side." Itinuro niya 'yong isang higaan. "Maybe you're wondering why I didn't choose the best part of this room. The answer is, I'm afraid of heights."

That answers it. Normally, somebody would choose the bedroom close to the window. But since she's afraid of heights, and we're in the sixth floor, that made sense.

"I'm Kaia, by the way." Lumapit siya sa akin at ngumiti. She reminds me of Cynthia for some reason. "Kaia Rutherford."

Natigilan ako. Siguro ay nahalata niya rin ang pagkagulat ko dahil sa ekspresyon ko, kaya natawa siya. That's when it makes sense. Her eyes, her facial features, it's the same with that guy.

"K-Kapatid mo si–"

"Si Caleb? Yes. He's my older brother." Tumawa siya at itinuro niya ang pader kung saan nakalagay ang picture frame. There, I saw a picture of Caleb and Kaia. They were smiling and they looked almost the same. Ang kaibahan lang ay mas magaan sa pakiramdam ang presensya ni Kaia. "But I'm nothing from what he is, so don't treat me differently."

"I won't. I'm Stella Beatrice Alvarez," pakilala ko sa sarili ko. Itinulak ko papasok ang maleta na dala ko, papunta sa side kung saan ako pupuwesto.

"Do you want to go to the Library?" pag-aaya ni Kaia nang suotin niya 'yong sapatos niya.

"I-I'm fine. I have to fix my things here," sabi ko, kaya nagpaalam na siya at lumabas.

Nang sumara ang pinto ay nakahinga ako nang maluwag at napapikit. My roommate is Caleb's younger sister? Para bang ipinaglalapit talaga kami, kahit ano pang iwas ko. Damn it.

Nang mapanatag na akong hindi na babalik muli si Kaia sa kuwarto ay kinuha ko na ang papel na inilagay ni Julian sa kamay ko.

It was a small piece of paper with his hand writing there. I was shocked with what I read and can't help but to feel that there's really something wrong with this School.

I can't tell you everything in my office because they are watching us. I need to tell you the truth and you have to trust me, Stella.

Meet me at the pavilion on midnight. I'll wait for you there. I'll tell you what you need to know.

*************