1.03 Brain Surgery

The moment we made it to the hospital I hopped out of the carriage. I made it into the hospital almost before Jack even made it out of the carriage. He will go get ready for surgery, I will grab an apron.

I maneuvered through the halls and grabbed an apron just like I planed. I placed the carbolic acid onto the table so I could properly tie the apron. I grabbed the acid once more. How long does Charlie have? Jack is with the man who needs brain surgery, so he will be ok. But who is with Charlie? Jack can wait a few more minutes, can't he?

I quickly made my way to the recovery ward. Charlie looks worse then he had been when I left the other day. I placed my hand on his forehead. His fever is worse too. "You poor baby" I whispered. I moved down the bed a little. I moved the blanket off of him. His leg looks so bad. It is swollen, blotchy with a red rash, and what looks like rot going along the incision line. Please, let this work. I sprayed a few sprits on his wound, making sure to cover its entire length and some of the surrounding skin. There... that should do. I hope. Carefully, I covered him back up with his blanket -- making sure to keep just his injury uncovered.

Once I was sure Charlie was set, I made my way into the operating theatre. "There you are." Jack called as he rolled up his sleeves. "Where have you been? " he asked concerned. I held up the bottle of acid. "Charlie." I told him.

I walked around the table to stand next to Jack. I sprayed Aputi's head with two sprits of the acid. Please, lord, do not let this have negative effects on the brain. We aren't spraying it directly in, but it is close enough and Jack will be removing some of his skill, so it could easily go in. Once I was done, I walked around Jack and stood near the top of Aputi's head.

Jack closed his eyes, readying his tool and pulling his sleeve up more. I watched him closely. He seemed to be walking himself through it in his head. I grabbed his wrist, earning his attention. "You've got this, Jack. Just breathe. I trust you" I softly said to him. His eyes locked on mine. He nodded softly.

Hetty moved the flap of scalp out of Jack's way. He instantly began to work. I watched closely as screwed into Aputi's head. This is both amazing and terrifying. My jaw dropped a little as Jack removed the skull, placing the instrument on the table behind him.

Jack came back to look at his work before Hetty removed the tool she had to hold back the skin flap. It is so bloody, he had to of had a massive brain bleed. This, if it works, will be magnificent. "Is he dead yet?" Flashbang asked. Hetty, Jack and I all looked at him. Is this kid serious? Ok... he may be older then me. I'm not actually sure. But, my point stands. Is he actually serious? Flashbang instantly looked down.

I bit my lip and walked around the table a bit -- moving to stand on the opposite side to Jack. Aputi started to breathe heavy. Wow... he is waking up fast. He started to sit up so Jack placed his hand on Aputi's head. The man in question looked around, finding Flashbang near his feet. "You knocked me out!" he panicked, pointing at the short man. Aputi sat up more, trying to sit up fully. Carefully, Jack grabbed Aputi's head, pushing him down onto the table again. "Okay, try to stay still. Keep that head steady." he ordered.

This man just had surgery on his brain. He literally has a chunk of his skull missing. Yet, he is trying to sit up. He's even fighting against Jack a bit. "Aren't you in terrible pain?" I asked Aputi shocked. "Maybe a bit of a headache." he mumbled. After it all, he isn't even feeling that bad. For all we know it could be a concussion that he's feeling from being sucker punched instead of anything from the surgery. I have no idea which he would feel more. But it is... amazing. "You're missing a piece of your skull." I told him in amazement. How can all he feel is a headache. I locked eyes with Jack in a quick glance. He seems more concerned then excited or exhilarated.

Aputi did another quick glance around the room, this time without moving his head. Thank god for that. "Feeling a bit of air on it." he told me. I laughed a little. I love science and medicine. "God sent you to me. 'Love your enemies. Do good to them that hate you.' Matthew 5:44." Aputi recited. Words of the lord, I cannot blame him for that. He and Jack were at each other's necks before -- more so that he worked for the man that wanted to see the end of Jack. But now, he just called cease fire. "You and me, we're square. You need anything, you just ask" Aputi said, looking to Jack. 

Jack leaned closer to Aputi. "Tinkler. Where is Tinkler buried?" he asked. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why the bloody hell would he need to know where that drunken fool was buried at. Last I checked, we were done with his body. "South corner, third from the left." the man replied. I looked at Jack, narrowing my eyes. What is he about to do?

Jack looked at me, freezing at the look he is receiving. I just gathered my things and walked into the surgeon prep room. Slowly, I began to put all of my things away. I heard someone walk in and move to be somewhere behind me. I'm not daft, I know it is Jack. 

"Kim" he said quietly. I just continued to put the equipment away. "Kimberley, look at me" he snapped. I stopped what I was doing and turned to look at Jack. He is leaning against the table feet away from me. I crossed my arms over my chest, staring into his eyes. Jack's eyes scanned my face. "Why?" I asked. "I wanted to see-" he began but I cut him off. "No. Why do you need to know where Tinkler is buried?" I asked him.

Jack's hand snapped to a stop. He had been playing with his coin, I hadn't even noticed. "The cash from Gaines's house is in his body cavity" he replied. "No, we did the autopsy on him together. It was normal and he was empty" I argued. "Fagin hid the cash there" Jack sighed. I licked my lips. Fagin hid the cash there? Why the bloody hell would someone hid cash in a dead body. Although, I do suppose it is a better idea then being caught red handed. However, how could Fagin hide the cash if he and Jack never had it to begin with?

"You told me that you didn't take the money. You told me you didn't have it. Why did you lie to me?" I asked him. "Kim, I didn't-" he began but I cut him off. "Why!? Was it just so I'd cover your tracks for you? Seriously?" I snapped in question. "I didn't lie!" Jack yelled back.

I narrowed my eyes at him. He is yelling at me when he is the one that stole the cash. He is yelling at me when he is the one talking about grave robbing. What the bloody hell. Are men always this complicated? I can't even ask Bell about this. 

"Why, Jack?" I asked more quiet. "I didn't lie, Kim" he repeated. Jack reached forward, grabbing my arm and pulling me to stand between his legs. My hands went immediately to his chest to stabilize myself, I gripped onto the fabric of his shirt in my fists. One of his hands found their way to my waist while the other cupped my cheek. "I promise you, I am not lying. We didn't steal it" he whispered.

"Then how did Fagin have it?" I asked him. He seemed at a loss of words for a second. I watched as the gears turned in his head, figuring out what to say next. "Look, one of the people who worked in Gaines's house stole it. We need to get it back and put it back without being found so we can get him off of our backs. And we did that, we got it back" he said. My eyebrows drew in confusion. If it is in a dead body then how- "But Gaines was going to them while Fagin and red were arguing. They hid the cash in Tinkler's body to not get caught" he finished. Oh. So that is how. 

I guess men aren't as complicated as I initially thought. He didn't lie. He didn't try to hid the money in a dead man himself, that was all Fagin. They probably just recently got the money so he didn't lie to me at all. But now, they have to go grave robbing. Perhaps men are complicated for other reasons, because this whole situation sound preposterous. 

I licked my lips. That doesn't change anything. It is just as dangerous. I looked deeply into his eyes. I can see the bits of green that are sprinkled into the deep brown of his eyes. "Jack... they'll hang you" I whispered. He shook his head lightly. "They won't" he replied just as softly. Tears gathered in my eyes. "Robbing a grave is punishable by death" I argued. "I won't get caught, darling. I won't get hung" he whispered. I closed my eyes, resting my head on his chest. "Please be careful" I pleaded.

Jack wrapped his arms around me tightly. I felt his lips on my head, lingering in place. "I won't" he whispered. "Ok... you go. Get the cash. Come back. I will check on Charlie. Then I will be waiting in your room." I mumbled. Jack's chest vibrated as he laughed. "You better come back tonight" I added. "I will darling. I can't leave you waiting, now can I?" he asked. I huffed lightly. Jerk. Carefully I wrapped my arms around his waist, not wanting to accidentally make him let go of me. Jack rested his head on mine as he held me tight. Why can't life ever be easy? And why did I have to come to care for a doctor with such risky pass time?