1.02 Sister's Soiree

"Jack?" I called as I walked back into the hospital. I could not find him in the operating theatre. I walked down the hall only to find a bunch of nurses talking as they gathered some supplies for the patients in the recovery ward. "Hetty! Do you know where Jack has gone to?" I asked. "Oh, he should be in his room. Up-" she began. I smiled at her. "Upstairs, I know. Thank you Hetty" I said, cutting her off. I may not know exactly where his room resides, but I do know it is in the building and it is upstairs. It is not that large of a building, I should be able to find it. And if what Jack says is true about not being cared for all that well, it will likely be in the attic.

I bunched my dress into my hands and left in the direction of the stairs. I did not stop or slow until I found his room. I could only tell it is his, or most likely his, because there is talking inside. His voice specifically, his and his so called uncle. I knocked, receiving nothing in response. Whatever conversation was happening beyond the door stopped. Moments later the door opened, revealing Jack. I glanced past him to see Fagin standing there. I bit my lip lightly as I looked back to Jack. "Sorry to interrupt..." I began but Jack cut me off. "It is fine, Kim. You needn't apologize" he said. I smiled at him. "I must return home, mother will get... curious. And if I miss too much time with her interesting and horrible ideas for potential suiters, then I will be as good as dead" I told him. I watched his jaw clench as anger briefly took over his face. Someone is jealous. I leaned forward and kissed his cheek, my hands coming to rest on his chest. "I shall see you tomorrow" I told him before quickly leaving.

I have no idea what is going on. Belle explained a small amount of what it is to get to know men. She explained what it is like to be introduced to a multitude of men before finding the one to court or marry. Even though she explained it all, I am not sure if all of these things -- these feelings -- are. It is all so confusing and new. I am not too sure of what all to make of it. Shaking my head, I quickly changed before going to the carriage for the ride home. It was boring, as per usual. It wasn't until I could hear the awful voice of Smales that I remember Fanny planed a soiree. I cannot believe I forgot. I truly should have gone into Jacks room and talked about his pending doom with him and Fagin. I know that is what they were talking about, I had heard something about hands when I interrupted. There is no other reason to talk about hands other then talking about how to save Jack's. I walked into the foyer to find everyone sitting, Fanny at the harp, and Smales standing -- reciting his poem.

I grabbed the chair from my right and pulled it to be next to mother. "Did you forget your sister organized an evening soiree?" mother asked me. She leaned closer so it was easier for us to have a hushed conversation and not interrupt the horrible production by my little sister and Smales. "Yes, if I'd remembered, I'd still be out." I told her. I truthfully wish I remembered. I could be helping Jack solve his problem. Or, I could just be with Jack in general. I could feel my mother run her eyes over me as I regrettingly watched Smales. "What have you done to yourself? Look at your jodhpurs" she asked.

I looked down at my outfit briefly. It is a little bit of a mess, as is my hair. I didn't care to put myself together properly. There is nothing truly wrong with it, there is no mess upon my outfit, its just not straitened out. After all, I was out riding all day in her mind. I guess she does not approve. "I'm fine." I told her. I looked back up as Fanny played a string of notes, going upwards on a staff. Everyone applauded as it signified the end of the show. The noise made father jump. "Open fire! Cannons!" father called. I did my best to hold back a laugh. He must have been falling asleep. "You finished." father corrected himself as he adjusted his position in the chair.

"Thank God... Good, good. Very good. Yes, wonderful. Heady stuff. Much, much to ponder. Yes." he rambled. I raised my eyebrow as I shared a glance with Belle. She was sitting next to father and her husband. I am shocked that Michael is here and not manning a post in the city. I thought today he was supposed to be detailed with Captain Gaines. Perhaps he chose to fight for the afternoon off, spend some family time together.

Fanny stood from her harp and moved to the center of the room. "Now, honored guests, family, dearest companions." she began. I watched her walk back towards the curtains that were hanging in front of a sitting space. "I know, like me, you must be moist with anticipation, wondering what treat is behind these curtains. With the help of Mr. Smales and our domestics, it is my honor to present a series of tableaux based on famous art masterpieces." she told us. Of course it has something to do with Smales. I wish I had stayed with Jack. I saw the plead in his eyes for a second when he had the spark of anger. But just like the anger it was gone as fast as it came. I should have read more into both the anger and the plea to stay. I thoroughly regret not doing so.

I leaned over towards mother. "You think Father would mind awfully me using a hunting rifle in the house?" I asked her. She scoffed at my suggestion. She truly believes Smales should be the one for me. Too bad she is wrong. And I am serious about shooting Smales and maybe even Fanny. "First we immortalise Michelangelo's famous painting of Leda and the Swan." Fanny said. There was a poor young girl laid across a chaise. A backdrop was placed behind her and one of the staff wore a swan hat. I cannot fathom why this is a good idea. My sister is insane and this poor girl is being tortured.

Mother leaned over towards me once more. "There's blood on your shoe." she said. I didn't even bother to look down. I know it is from the operation today. "Is there?" I asked her as if I were clueless. "Are you well, my dear?" she asked once more. I could feel her eyes raking over me. Honestly I feel better then I have in a while -- only being dampened by Smales and partially Fanny. "Extraordinary." I tell her softly as I lean back in my chair.

The moment Fanny was done with her insanity, I left for my room. Charlotte was in my room placing new sheets on the bed. "M'lady" she greeted with a curtsy. I smiled at her. "Hello Charlotte" I said softly. I moved to my closet and opened the door. "Do you wish to change, M'lady?" she asked me. I could hear as she stopped rustling with my sheets. Her footsteps sounded as she walked towards me. "Yes, I just don't know what. And I have blood on my shoes, so they will need to be scrubbed at some point" I told her.

"Kimberley?" I heard Belle. I turned to see her walking into my room. I took a few steps towards her, letting Charlotte go into my closet. "Yes, sister?" I asked. "I have great news" she said as a smile made its way to her face. "You do?" I asked her. I have not seen Belle this happy in this house since she has told me she was betrothed to Michael.