Tragedy

“My name!” The little girl cried out, her stubby fingers clenching into fists as she glared at the middle-aged man who mocked her. “Is Jessamine Clarke! Not… not that horrific word you were calling me.” The man, tall for his age and with horrible blue eyes merely smirked as the Doctor’s daughter backed away from him, tears rolling down her red cheeks.

“Listen, Kid,” said the man, his voice dark as he stepped forward, hands slowly leaving the pockets of his long coat, “I care not for your name, I’m just here to do my job.”

“My Mummy’s picking me up from school.”

“Your Mummy hired me to pick you up, Sweetheart.”

“Lies! Mummy doesn’t know anyone like you.” The little girl scowled as her lips wobbled. “Mummy promised.”

“Well Mummy sent me,” the man snapped, grasping Jessamine’s long hair, “now shut it and do as I tell you.”

“Let me go! Let go of me! Stop, that hurts! Stop!” The little girl screamed and screamed until a white cloth was pressed against her nose, suffocating her.

-_-_-_-

This was not the first time Jessamine Clarke had been kidnapped. Her mother had orchestrated her kidnapping once, and the little girl had barely escaped alive. In fact, if her kidnapper hadn't felt so sorry for the girl, she would have died.

Jessamine was not as lucky this time.

Shackles as cold as ice grasped her wrists and ankles, suspending her up in the air. Her dress had been torn off and the shapeshifter had tried it on and danced around in it. Jessamine was frozen in her thin nightdress.

It hadn't been long since Jessamine had been taken, though it was hard to tell just how long she’d been there, or where she even was.

Of course, she’d screamed and screamed, calling Shu’s name, knowing he’d hear her. He didn’t come to save her. “Do you believe me, now?” Sighed Amabelle, “He’s not coming to save you.”

“He will!” Gasped Jessamine, her limbs aching as the chains rattled, “H-He will.”

“Oh Jessie,” giggled the shapeshifter, “you really are nothing more than a lovesick girl.” The woman stood, humming as she trailed her fingers along the tools she’d brought into the shabby room. “Now, our real fun begins.”

-_-_-_-

Shu couldn’t fucking sense her and it was driving him crazy. He’d scoured what felt like the entire wood by this point, and his strength was depleting quickly. Jessamine was calling for him, he was sure. He just couldn’t hear her.

He’d found himself back in that small clearing, clutching at his blonde hair as he walked in circles, trying to think. Where would the shapeshifter have taken her?

“Well hello there.” A voice, familiar and cheerful, caused Shu’s boy to stiffen. He hadn’t even sensed anyone coming near him. So he turned, eyes squinting until they landed on a cloaked figure. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“What do you want?” Snapped Shu who stood in the centre of the clearing, his fists clenched.

“Money, mostly,” said the concealed person who stepped forward, “which I was getting in my mundane job… but dealing with all those dead bodies grew tiresome.” The hood fell down, revealing the Undertaker whose smile was wide. “And then the murders started and oh how excited I was to examine these innocent ladies!” In his hand was a glistening dagger. “And then, I wondered how the killer felt, if they felt powerful. They killed so many, it must have been addictive!”