Seventeen

I saw Stefan get to the gym first. He pulled the door open. "Klaus." He began carefully.

"Come to save your damsel in distress?"

"I came to ask for your forgiveness." What was he doing? I slipped inside behind him. "And pledge my loyalty."

Nik sat on the bleachers, Elena on the gym floor with two other students. I climbed up onto the bleachers, entirely ignored by everyone else.

"Well you broke that pledge already." Nik was almost amused. He leaned back, setting his elbows on the bench behind him.

"Elena means nothing to me anymore." Oh. So we've jumped straight to lying. "Whatever you ask of me, I'll do."

"That's so boring, Stefan." I plopped down near Nik. "Aren't you going to fight for your girl? After all she's the doppelgänger and for some strange reason, they always have a hold on the pair of brothers they like."

"Fair enough." Nik smirked and moved off the bleachers. "Let's drink on it." He gestured to the teens who had gotten on their feet the second he was on the move. "Kill them."

I was being ignored.

"No, Stefan don't. He's not going to hurt me, he already said-"

Nik backhanded her so hard, she actually hit the ground.

My jaw dropped. Holy shit.

"No!" Stefan shouted and ran toward her. Nik had him by the throat before he could get very far.

"She means nothing to you?" Stefan fucked up. That had been a test. "Your lies just keep piling up."

"Nik!" I stood, but there was very little I could do. He wouldn't listen, not in this state.

"Let her go." He choked out, struggling to breathe, I could hear him wheezing. "I'll do whatever you want, you have my word!"

"Your word doesn't mean much, no, I lived by your word all summer, during which I never had to resort to this," Nik pulled him closer. "Stop fighting."

"Please don't do this." Stefan begged. "Don't do this."

"I didn't want to. All I wanted was your allegiance, now I'm gonna have to take it."

"Don't." He whispered.

"You will do exactly as I say when I say it, you will not run. You will not hide. You will simply just obey." Nik let go and Stefan's hands dangled limply at his sides.

I placed a hand over my mouth.

Elena had tears in her eyes. "Stefan?"

"Now kill them, Ripper." The name was like ice in my veins.

Stefan lunged forward, going for the girl first and began to feed.

I had never actually seen him while in his ripper state. Was that how I looked? "Nik?"

The smirk melted off his expression when he must've seen the horror in mine. "Elijah will wake soon, why don't you wait for him." His voice was far more gentle than what it had just been.

I wanted to go, wanted to get away from this image of my brother, but I felt rooted to my spot. I wanted to throw up.

"Morgan." Nik urged gently. "Go find Elijah."

"No." I hated how my voice wobbled. "No, I hadn't believed how much Stefan changed. I need to see this."

"You're certain?"

No. "Yes."

Nik nodded, and then crouched down beside Elena. "This is but a taste of what I can do to those you love. I can make it stop, but I won't. This is his natural state. This is what a vampire is."

Her chin raised defiantly. "He's better than that."

"You cannot stop nature, sweetheart."

The girl's body dropped to the floor, entirely drained, and her head rolled away.

"Where is it?" Rebekah threw the gym doors open. "I've searched this entire damn school and I can't find the fucking necklace."

"I don't have it any more." Elena chose now to get to her feet and back away.

"You're lying." Rebekah lunged at her, sinking her teeth into her neck.

Nik ripped her away. "Knock it off."

"Make her tell me where it is!"

Elena clutched at her bleeding neck, and the very pungent smell of it curled in the air. I used my sleeve to cover my nose. Too much blood, too much temptation.

I was getting better but not fast enough.

"Tell me where the necklace is." Nik placed himself firmly between her and Rebekah. "Be honest."

"I'm telling the truth." Elena whimpered. "Kathrine stole it."

"Katarina." He let out a sharp breath through his nose. "Well that is unfortunate. If we had the necklace it'd make things a whole lot easier for your witch but since we're doing this the hard way, let's put a clock on it, shall we?" Nik walked over to the game clock and it buzzed when he pressed a button, he then addressed Stefan. "Twenty minutes and if Bonnie hasn't found the solution, I want you to feed on Elena."

What if Bonnie couldn't find the answer he was looking for?

"Come along, Morgan." Nik held out his hand and I gladly moved to take it. "No one leaves. If she tries to run, fracture her spine." What had happened when I was with Tyler?