Eleven

It was a small, stuffy apartment that might have once been an expensive place.

Now even the doorknob fell off at even the slightest of touch. "This is where you used to live?" We'd all been dragged on this little field trip.

Nik paused, scenting the air. "Someone was here."

"It's been vacant for decades, people must break in all the time." Stefan looked around. "Why are we here?"

"Your friend, Liam Grant. The man who you made drink his wife's blood." Why was that memorable? Unless he wasn't a vampire. "I could never figure out why you wanted his name, and then you told me your secret. It was all part of a special little ritual."

"To relive the kill." Ugh, Stefan did that? Just like Nik with his letters.

Boring.

At least my way was imaginative.

"Over and over." Nik moved toward a bookcase and opened it up.

It was a secret room. A cool one at that. I crept up beside Stefan as he walked toward it.

Rebekah crossed her arms and remained by the doorway. She had only gingerly come with. "Why are we on this dull little adventure? I want new clothes."

At least I wasn't the only one less than thrilled that this is the activity that got picked. Personally, I think getting blood would've been more fun.

"In time, sister. First I'm going about convincing Stefan of our friendship. He still doesn't believe me."

Once I saw what was inside, I froze, as did Stefan.

Elena fucking Gilbert.

She was smart. I mean, not that she was here, but that she'd slowed her heart beat considerably, and was taking almost silent, slow deep breaths.

If I wasn't actively listening, I would've missed her. "Stefan's murder wall." I reached past her, and touched the names. He'd carved them right into the wall.

It had to take time.

Tears welled in Elena's eyes, and I could see her struggling to maintain her breathing.

Stefan was behind me, and couldn't really do much. I couldn't explain why I did it, but I continued to act like I was touching the wall, but instead, I grasped her shoulder, hopefully something comforting in my expression.

"Look what I found." Stefan reached past me, and grabbed a bottle of liquor.

Elena closed her eyes.

I turned around, putting on a show to act as bored as Rebekah. "Can we go back to Gloria's now, I want blood."

"After I get fresh clothes."

"We might never get to it. Stefan and Nik's bromance is too strong."

Stefan's expression soured. "We don't have a bromance."

"Keep telling yourself that. You don't even remember your time with Nik." And if Nik cared enough to drag his ass across the country, then they must've really been friends, something that was rare for Nik.

It was more than just Stefan making a deal to be his minion. He could've easily sent him on missions or made him one of the thousands of spies Nik has stationed around the world. All in similar situations where they're either hopelessly indebted to him or outright compelled.

Nik's phone rang and he stepped outside of the apartment to take it. Odd.

"So what's the real reason Nik's got you on such a tight leash?" Rebekah's eyes were on me the moment he left.

"It's exactly as he said-"

"Spare me the poor excuse." She crossed her arms, glancing at Stefan. "Why don't you go kill something."

"He knows."

Rebekah's brow furrowed. "I thought Stefan didn't."

"No. Nik. He knows." Her expression paled. "Not as much as Elijah, but enough to condemn me. They both clocked that I was hiding something within the first five minutes of seeing them. They searched my memories. There wasn't a whole lot I could do."

"Wait. I'm confused, so you know what Morgan did?" Stefan frowned.

"I ought to, I was there."

"More than that." I snorted. "But we won't be discussing it further." Especially not with both the doppelgänger and my brother listening. They were smart. I wouldn't be surprised if they figured it out with a few more clues. "Anyway, I don't know how long Nik will be so why don't we just leave? That way I get the blood I so crave and you get new clothes. Plus it doesn't hurt that Stefan'll be a captive audience for your obligatory fashion show."

Maybe I wouldn't do it if Rebekah wasn't here to help shoulder the blame, but I did feel a tad vindictive about the fact that Nik would be annoyed by more than me.

Rebekah seemed to consider it, and grinned. "Done. Oh and Stefan, bring that bottle with you."

Only I saw the relief in Stefan's expression as he closed the secret room's door, hiding Elena away once more.