Thirteen

Elijah moved around the apartment he invited himself to stay in. He poured a cup of tea from a kettle I suppose he'd found.

"We're going to visit the Lockwood estate today."

"Why?" I laid on the couch, staring at the ceiling. I'd decided on just waiting Elijah out. He'd want to leave eventually, but wouldn't if I stayed.

"I'm masquerading as a historian. Mayor Lockwood has been gracious enough to invite me into her home for an afternoon tea to discuss the history of the town."

"If you wanted to know the history, why not just ask me?" I had been born here. Then again, so had he, give or take eight hundred years.

"Do you know where the Salem witches were burned?"

"No."

"Then you stand corrected." He sipped his tea. "They predate even the founders."

Mean. "Fine, but why do I have to go?"

"A few days cooped up, I'm certain you're itching to be in the sun."

"No, I'm perfectly alright. I was even thinking of finding a new show to binge."

"Go get dressed." Elijah commanded firmly, disappearing from view. "We leave in half an hour."

"What are you gonna to do if I don't? Ground me? I'm already forced to stay by your side." Even though I couldn't see him, I knew he had that judgy little stare.

"Obstinance will not get you what you want, dear one."

"I think I'll take a nap instead. You have fun with your tea party." I settled further into the couch. It was actually quite comfortable.

He circled around to sit on the coffee table. "Must you fight me at every turn?"

"You're the one who wants to reveal to everyone who we are to each other."

"Yes well, you'd like to have a relationship with your brothers. The family secret requires a bit of fine tuning. I'll not have you walking on egg shells."

I sat up. "And I'll not have my brothers used against me. I know that the second Nik knows about- " I cut myself off. Keep it together. "He'll use them."

"He'll use them no matter what they are aware of." He set his cup down beside him. "Which is why it would be more beneficial to you and those you love, to tell me what you've done, so I can better protect you."

Fucking hell. I couldn't. Not when it endangered more than just myself. Scratch daggering, Nik might actually tear out my heart.

I just felt so goddamn guilty.

"Elijah, stop asking."

He let out a sigh. "I had hoped it wouldn't come to this."

"What are you...?"

Elijah took hold of the sides of my face, fingers coming to rest at my temples, and it dawned on me what he was doing.

"No, wait. Please." I tried to move away, but the back of the couch held me firm, and there wasn't any way I could get out of his grip. "Elijah. Don't do this."

"This is your last chance, dear one." He wasn't going to be calling me that for much longer. "Otherwise, I'll be forced to find the memory myself."

I fought to hold back the tears that were threatening to surface. Think Morgan. What else could Nik be mad at? Well, that actually wasn't that hard, but enough to elicit such a reaction from myself. "I accidentally killed one of his minions." Yeah, that'd work. Maybe. "I was in a feeding frenzy and I didn't realize who they were until they were already dead."

Elijah's eyes narrowed. He searched my expression, as if looking for deceit. "Niklaus doesn't care much for his minions." Apparently, he'd found it.

"But-"

"Do not attempt to lie again."

I swallowed, bracing myself for what would be a painful head dive. "I'm begging you not to." Fear curled uncomfortably in my gut, and I grasped his wrists. "Please."

"I'm sorry. This is for your own good."

My eyes rolled back, as he dove into my memories.