4

"Honey, do you think he's high?" Niall asked his wife one night when they were settling in bed.

"Arthur? Doing drugs? Why would you think that?" Claire asked and stared at him in horror.

"Well, something is clearly going on. I can't read his mind and you can't feel his emotions most of the time. It's like he's blocking us out and that's the only explanation I can think of." Niall said apologetically. He didn't want to accuse his son of something that he wasn't sure of.

"Oh God! Maybe? How can we know for sure?" Claire asked worriedly.

Niall picked up his phone and started to google signs of drug use.
"Ehm, it says physical signs of marijuana use include red eyes, poor muscle coordination, delayed reaction times, and increased appetite. But then if I google amphetamine it says that some of the symptoms are increased blood pressure, dilated pupils, increased energy, and increased body tempered. Is he running a fever?"

"I don't think so." Claire answered. She looked scared.

"Damn it! I know nothing about drugs! Okay, I can fix this. I'm inviting Harry and Louis for dinner tomorrow. We just have to make sure Arthur eats with us as well." Niall stressed and sent a text. 

"They know about drugs?" Claire questioned.

"Louis smokes pot sometimes. Nothing major." Niall said dismissively.

He glanced at his wife. She didn't look happy.
"How come I didn't know that until now?"

"They're my best friends, Claire. I can't share their secrets, not even with the love of my life." Niall replied.

"I guess that's one of the many reasons I love you." Claire said.

Niall received an answer to his text.
"Good. They'll be here tomorrow."

They tried to go to sleep but it took some time since they both worried about their youngest.

The next day they told Arthur that they expected him to be home for dinner since Harry and Louis were joining them. Arthur sighed dramatically.
"Fine."

They told the girls the same thing before they all headed to school. Niall kissed his wife goodbye and they took separate cars to work.

He hurried home after his work day was over and put together a lasagna. His wife came home and helped him. Harry and Louis showed up and he brought them to the office to fill the in.
"So in the last couple of weeks, we've noticed that something is off with Arthur." He began.

"Off how?" Harry asked.

"Well, I can't read his mind. It's all fuzzy. Claire can't feel his emotions either." Niall explained.

Harry and Louis exchanged a look.
"And I know, privacy and all that but you know that Arthur is struggling and we're just trying to help him. Now, what worries me more than anything is the reason we can't do that and all I could think of is if he's on something. You know, some kind of drug." Niall said.

"Oh, God. I hope that's not the case!" Harry replied.

"Yeah, me too. Now, I don't know anything about drugs. I haven't even smoked a cigarette in my life and I tried to Google it but there are so many different drugs and different symptoms." Niall stressed.

"So naturally you thought of us?" Louis chuckled.

"I didn't mean... Please, my kid is falling apart and I have no idea how to help him." Niall uttered in distress.

"I was just joking. Of course, we will try our best and help you. Harry has seen me high a bunch of times and I know how weed affects me. You did the right thing to call us over." Louis immediately said and hugged his dear friend who had always been there for them and their children.

"Thank you." Niall smiled.

"We're here for you." Harry promised and hugged Niall as well.

They walked into the kitchen. Claire was taking the lasagna out of the oven and the girls were setting the table. There was no sight of Arthur.
"Where is he?"

"He's not home yet." Claire answered.

Niall sighed and picked up his phone and called his son. Arthur declined the call so he rang again. When Arthur had declined three of his calls he wrote a text informing him that if he didn't get his butt home right now for dinner he would take away his privileges. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

They sat down to eat. Avolon and Abigail told Harry and Louis about their weekend. Arthur showed up ten minutes later and took a seat by the table without saying a word. He filled his plate and started eating.
"Hi, Arthur. Abigail and Avolon just told us about their weekend. How was yours?" Harry asked with a friendly smile.

"Fine." Arthur mumbled and avoided eye contact.

"Yeah? Did you do something fun?" Harry asked.

"No." Arthur replied.

Harry looked at Louis for help.
"Hey, Arthur? What do you call a fish wearing a bowtie?"Louis asked.

Arthur looked up at him.
"Huh?"

"Sofishticated." Louis smirked.

Arthur burst out laughing. A couple of minutes later he was still cackling while he stuffed his mouth with food. Harry and Louis shared a look with Niall.

After dinner, they headed to the office again.
"I'm sorry to have to say this but he's definitely high." Harry said.

"Most likely pot. His eyes are red and you just watched him laugh at me very bad joke." Louis said.

"Yeah. What do I do now?" Niall sighed unhappily.

"There's no use in talking to him when his high. Wait until tomorrow morning. I suggest you take a sick day." Harry answered.

"Don't be angry but be clear that drug use won't be tolerated." Louis said.

"Yeah... I hate this! What if he doesn't listen?" Niall sighed.

"Make sure to plead to his emotional side. Talk about how worried you are and talk about the side effects and consequences." Harry suggested.

"Be prepared. Read up." Louis said.

"I will. Thanks for the support, guys." Niall said.

"Anytime." Louis smiled and Harry nodded his head.