3

Arthur was in an awful mood. He was stuck in a forest with Uncle Liam, Uncle Zayn, Wolf, and Evan for a whole weekend fishing. It was something he used to enjoy but now he just watched them use their special powers as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

Zayn just used his hands to start a fire so they could cook food. Wolf filled bottles with water with the tip of his fingers, Liam pulled a fucking tree by the roots so they had something to sit on and Evan heard the fishes and could just pick them up with a net while he on the other hand had just sat there for hours without getting a single fish.

Evan came and sat next to him.
"How are you doing? Dad told me you've been in fights in school."

Arthur just shrugged his shoulders.
"You know, having special abilities isn't always that great. When I first got my super hearing I had to listen to my parents having sex." Evan said.

Arthur laughed.
"Really? That sounds horrifying."

"Trust me, it was. I don't wanna think about it." Evan chuckled.

When Arthur didn't say anything else Evan continued.
"I think your dad has suffered most with his ability."

"Why?" Arthur asked.

"He can't shut it off. Darcy has told me that Uncle Niall was always so sad when we were younger, until he met your mum that is." Evan revealed.

Arthur stared at him.
"Why?"

"People's thoughts aren't always that nice, Arthur. Your dad has to deal with every nasty thing people think about him and the people he loves and he can't exactly call them out on it. I think your dad is amazing. Imagine the strength it takes to put up with that daily." Evan said thoughtfully.

Arthur had never really considered that aspect of his father's ability. That sounded awful.
"Yeah. I hate it when he reads my thoughts though. That's private." He muttered.

"Oh, we didn't like it as teens either, especially when we were up to no good. Niall always knew and told our
parents. When we had our stupid secret superhero club we walked around and thought about cinnamon rolls all the time. Now when I'm an adult I know that he was just looking out for us and I appreciate it." Evan chuckled.

Oh. Good advice. He could keep his dad out of his head. Arthur smiled.

"Alright, let's save those two from starvation. Let's make some dinner." Evan said and nodded in the direction of Zayn and Liam who always loved to fish but never actually caught one. Evan walked away without knowing that he had given Arthur some disastrous advice.

Zayn, Liam, and Wolf also tried to talk to him later on but neither of them actually understood what he was going through. They all had their powers. They weren't ordinary like him.

His dad met him in the hallway when he got home.
"Did you have a nice time?"

"Yeah." Arthur said.

Niall wrinkled his eyebrows. Why was his son thinking butthole repeatedly?
"Alright. Mum's in the living room. Go say hi to her. She missed you. Me too. The house is so quiet without you."

Great, so he made a lot of noise?"
"I didn't mean it like that." Niall said.

"Stay out of my head, Dad. It's super intrusive!" Arthur growled.

"I'm sorry. You know I can't help it." Niall answered unhappily.

Arthur sighed. He could see that he had made his dad sad. It made him feel guilty.
"Whatever."

He walked to the living room to say hi to his mum before he went to his bedroom and closed the door behind him. He felt alone. His family and his dad's friends and family didn't understand what he was going through and he couldn't exactly talk to one of his friends about it.

School on Monday was boring as usual. At least he stayed out of trouble. When he got home his mum and dad were hovering over him. He knew they worried about him but they used their powers to see what he was thinking and feeling and that pissed him off more than anything. He reputedly thought asshole to keep his dad away but there wasn't much he could do about his mum unfortunately. They wanted to talk all the time but he pushed them away. He just wanted some space for fucks sake!

A month later he was about to run away from home. His dad wouldn't stop telling him that it didn't matter that he didn't have an ability as if he hadn't seen the disappointment in his eyes when he didn't wake up at age thirteen and magically had superpowers like the rest of them.

He spent Friday night at his friend's house and complained about his parents breathing down his neck, without telling him exactly how much.
"Wanna smoke some pot? It relaxes you." His friend Steve suggested.

Arthur only hesitated for a second before curiosity took over. A half hour later he experienced his first high. He liked it! He let go of his troubles for a while and just went with the flow.

When he came home later that night his parents were watching TV. He walked into the living room and thought 'Dad! I'm high!'. His dad just looked at him.
"Hi, buddy. Did you have fun at Steve's?"

"Yeah. I'm going to bed." Arthur said.

He looked at his mum but she just smiled at him. As he got into his room his heart was beating fast. Had he just found a way to stop his parents from snooping into his personal life?

A couple of days later he tested that theory with the same result. His dad didn't seem to be able to read his thoughts and his mum didn't seem to pick up on his emotional state. Jackpot!