Ch. 11: The thing is...

Start from the beginning

Javi's head spun around, nodding, "Sure, meet me downstairs."

"Cool," she nodded, walking off.

Javi stayed for a while.

He scratched his head and took a deep breath. The plan was in motion, but something was missing or someone. Yet that wasn't important right then.

He fixed the room up a bit. Putting all the chairs where they once were and locking the door behind him.

Once done, he ran out to the first floor, where Nneka sat on the staircase waiting.

She turned to him hearing the creaking of the staircase, and smiled at him. "So..." she began, "What does a soulmate get for free around these parts?"

He chuckled, holding the adjacent door for her. "Follow me."

They walked through the door that connected to the bathroom, just as loud soft music blasted through.

The bar was heavily packed.

They struggled to move through people blocking the way to his office, so he took her hand. Javi grabbed her hand, which surprised her, but made sense of course.

I mean how else was she supposed to get to a place she's never been to before.

He pushed everyone away by clearing a path. And when there was enough room, he gently pulled her beside him and held one side of her waist.

Nneka stared at his hand, blushing, and trying to hide a smile on her face.

Finally, when they reached his office door, he unlocked it and they walked in.

"Please sit." He said texting away, while walking to his desk.

The room was filled with random earth paintings and photographs. From a close-up of grass to paintings of sea animals, and one picture of his fluffy brown dog.

Behind his black desk, there were 2 bookshelves filled with books. And from where Nneka was sitting, she could tell at least some of them were spiritual books like tarot, astrology, all of that.

"You're really into the stars." She says.

Javi looked up from his phone and set it aside. He quickly glances at his books, then at her. "Yeah, it's like my life."

"I see." Nneka nodded, then clicked her tongue tilting her head. "So, was this a team effort or..."

"Should I take that as you don't believe me, or just doubt?"

"Doubt, I suppose."

"Ah..." he grinned, leaning in. "But you're fascinated by it all right?"

Again she nodded, "How am I not? You're telling me 4 gorgeous men are my potential suitors. I feel like a Shakespearean play."

"Well, I'm glad the men are to your liking, looks-wise. I had no control over that."

She laughed. "Funny."

"I aim to please." He winked.

There was a knock on the door.

A girl with long silver hair and a bunch of ear piercings walked in with a basket of seasoned fries and a can of orange soda.

"Your fries and—" she stopped, hesitating as she saw Nneka sitting there.

Nneka turned to the silver-haired girl, and flashed a wide smile, "Hi."

Javi rushed up, thanked her, and grabbed the food handing it to Nneka. "I got you some snacks."

"She's eating in here?" The girl asked.

Javi looked at her surprised and agreed, "Yeah, why wouldn't she."

"Isn't there a rule about eating in your office?" The girl asked, eyes darting between him and Nneka.

"Oh..." Nneka put the food aside, but Javi pushed it right back in front of her.

"She's kidding, Missy kidding, right?" She faked a grin, nodding and closing the door.

"See, she's a kidder."

Nneka hesitated, but Javi pushed the food closer to her. "Please, she's joking."

"Oh, okay." She took a bite.

"Good huh?" "Yeah, they're french fries."

"So, what did you want to talk about?"

Nneka wiped some salt off her fingers, "If it's okay with you, I'd like to know how you died."  

---

Comment, Like and Share