Cowardly words, respecting me and not Paige, but I appreciated them and nodded. Muttered agreements followed, along with a few shaking heads, humming the airspace with dejected melancholy. Caden wasn't protecting me, only his team's best player and his ass, but the bare minimum was an acceptable start. Better than total resistance or calling my bluff.

"You know you'll have to deliver, right?" Nico whispered as I sat down with a thud, kicking my feet under Pierce's.

Whether he referred to my performance on the team or selling my relationship with Paige, I didn't care. With one declaration, I was committed to both.

A baby goat nibbled Paige's elbow, and two more ate from her outstretched hands

A baby goat nibbled Paige's elbow, and two more ate from her outstretched hands. She was laughing with her head tipped back and eyes closed. Her loud and unfiltered laugh put her snaggletooth smile on display.

The sun beat down on the back of my neck, and the smell of hay, fried foods, animals, and what came out of them burned my nose. Paige laughed again. It sounded like pure happiness, twisting a funny sensation in my chest. She deserved to be happy. After last night's declaration, I was committed to making her life more bearable. I snapped a picture, lowering my phone to Vi's smile over hers.

"Recording evidence," was all she said.

I frowned. Evidence for what? Selling this false relationship was why I was here, resting my elbows on a shaky wire fence and watching my not-real girlfriend getting jumped on by baby goats.

Before I asked, Violet's hand tugged my shirt sleeve. She dragged me out of the barn, and I blinked under the bright sunlight and fresher air. "Vi?"

She dropped my sleeve and gazed at me as if waiting for my confirmation. "What happened at the party, Brody?"

Oh. I clenched my teeth and shoved my hands in my pockets. "You saw what happened. Nothing."

She tipped her head back and stared at me with her hands on her hips. Shorter than Paige, beyond the goth makeup, all-black clothes, and giant-heeled black boots she promised were capable of breaking toes, she radiated 'I don't give a fuck' confidence.

"I saw what happened and what didn't happen, but I also think I saw something that you might've wanted to happen, but it didn't, and someone's disappointed."

I swallowed. "Huh?" She thought she saw what? Her confusing accusation was exactly why I couldn't talk to girls.

"Don't play dumb, Brody." Her eyes gleamed, but with what intention? "Something happened, you shut down, and...I wanted to see if you were okay."

Her eyes rounded, and she slacked the tension in her mouth. Concern was nice, but I didn't want her pity. "Thanks for the concern, but I'm fine, Vi."

She rolled her eyes, the blue popping off her pale and black makeup. "I didn't think I'd have to spell it out, but Paige is dumb with her feelings. The dumber you are with yours, the longer this will take."