She didn't deserve to be treated like shit for a condition that wasn't her fault, and I wasn't staying silent anymore. I couldn't, or else I would burst through my skin, punch the closest face, or do something very stupid, like—

"You watched it. All of you." I glared with as much heat as possible. I wanted to strangle each neck attached to the guilty looks not denying what I said. "You tease her, harass her, for something that's not her fucking fault."

She probably hadn't done anything to instigate or retaliate despite them deserving it. I stood, braced my hands on Pierce's seat back, and grounded my knee on my seat.

"I'm saying this one fucking time." My fingers shook, so I dug them into the leather. "I don't expect you to agree with my decisions or my choice of a girlfriend, but I don't fucking care."

The bus fell silent, except for the squeaks and rattles with each bump it hit. Round eyes refused to blink. Coach Walters' head turned from where he sat behind the driver.

"Leave my girlfriend the fuck alone." Low and threatening, without a single rasp or uncertain squeak, I didn't recognize my voice. Each word burned my tongue but was nowhere close to the heat broiling my blood molten. I met every pair of shocked eyes, even the special teams and backups. They blurred under the heat burning my skin, this time not from blushing.

"All of you, including your girlfriends." I clenched my teeth at Pierce, who slunk down in his seat. "Leave mine alone."

The more I spoke, the higher my voice elevated. It shifted into a threat, and I glared at my teammates. They were acquaintances, not friends.

"No more names."
"No more teasing."
"No more shit talk behind her back."
"No more harassment."
"No. Fucking. More."

My voice tightened around each word, and I was shaking when I stopped. During the silence, the rows of seats ahead of me blurred into dark forms. Most heads nodded, and a few guys mumbled, 'Sorry.' Not all, though.

"Or what?" Of course, Pierce couldn't let this go unchallenged. His doubtful look made me clench my teeth. What the fuck was his problem?

"Or..." I sucked in a sharp breath, speaking with malice coating each word, "I quit."

Their low curses pushed me further. "Yeah. Quit picking on my girlfriend, and I'll know if you did, or I quit this fucking team. You'll throw away the whole fucking season in the process."

And this was my very stupid something. I went too far but couldn't take back my words, but I didn't want to. My elevated breathing and pissed-off state masked the rush of panic through my veins. Dad would roast my ass for this declaration, but I'd never projected my voice with so much confidence. While I shouldn't have any reason to make it, standing up for what was right felt good. Like I tapped into the inner strength I reserved for the field.

Taking the silent stares as agreement, I reached over and grabbed Pierce's phone. "Starting with this shit taken down before we get back tonight. I know one of you knows who put it up."

Silent swallows followed, but I didn't stop glaring until Pierce nodded. I smirked and lowered my voice. "You don't have to answer me. Let it sink in. I'll—"

"Calm down, Brody." Caden coughed and stood from his seat six aisles up. "Let's not get carried away."

I almost laughed at the panic in his eyes. Mister number one QB benefitted most from my receptions.

"We all want our girlfriends to be treated respectfully, so..." His eyes met mine, raising my eyebrows. "If Brody's serious about Paige, we need to respect him. He has my support."