Chapter 9

For the next 6 days I was accompanied by Alex, Maria, Chelsie, and sometimes Wendy on our gathering quest.

Whenever I asked Alex if he liked to spar with me after we finished gathering some bittercress grass, he always had a frightened look and gave one reason or another why he couldn't.

It's kinda disappointing that he is always busy with something, it honestly is not that much fun having to train alone. He makes a good dumm... I meant sparring partner.

Today I'd completed my 10th F rank Quest, which means I could take the E rank evaluation test to become an E rank adventurer.

Being an E rank means that you're unofficially considered a true adventurer since it's where the dangers of being an adventurer starts.

You have to fight an instructor in the training area to see if you have the bare minimum amount of skills to fight.

"Umm... Nyx, after this you should be able to take the E rank evaluation test right?"

Maria spoke next to me as we were gathering some herbs.

"Ya, I'm planning to do it tomorrow. Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering"

A question pops up in my mind, isn't Maria a E rank?

"Aren't you E rank?"

"Well..." with a pained smile on her face

"No, I'm still a F rank. I've failed it twice already"

She took a deep sigh and said

"I must be a real burden to Alex and everybody else"

She is really beating herself up about it, maybe I shouldn't have said anything.

"Don't be too hard on yourself, I doubt that's true"

Overhearing our conversation, Chelsie walked by carrying a few bundles of bittercress grass.

"Your not a burden to any of us, your our friend"

Chelsie's words managed to get Maria spirits up, she smiled because of that and went back to collecting herbs.

They are really supportive of each other, despite constantly fighting over Alex.

Speaking of the others.

"By the way, I've been wondering what Lucia and Wendy usually do?

Chelsie responded with.

"Well Lucia either is training her magic or doing quests exclusively for mages like operating some magic tools"

Then she told me about Wendy. She usually does hunting quests, using her beastkin senses which are better than humans to track down monsters but she occasionally comes and helps out if there aren't a lot of good ones out there.

This got me thinking, I was wondering for the last few days now with them, how far Maria, Chelsie, Wendy, and Lucia got with Alex.

Are they already on first base or maybe on third base? My best guess is around half or a quarter to first base since from my gaming knowledge, this is the beginning of their story, so nothing of note is happening or that Alex, like most protagonists, is really dense.

"I got another question, so how far along any of you gotten with Alex"

Maria was all red, shouting out.

"Why would you ask that sort of question out of the blue?"

As for Chelsie, she was silent for a while in thought