Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Aria

"Did you consider?" Nessa gave me a side glance while taking a sharp U-turn on the street.

"Consider what?" I raised a brow at her.

"Seeking therapy?"

I rolled my eyes and looked away, leaning my head against the headrest. "I'm fine, really."

"I don't think you are."

I looked back at her and shrugged, "I am." And I believed I was doing fine—a lot better than yesterday. I hadn't thought once about the picture I received or all that had happened at Willowsworth. Not once since having sex with Raven.

It was surely not a good thing, but whatever took my mind off it was better than dwelling on it.

"Okay, if you say so." She sighed and parked her car next to the bar that I decided to work in.

I was here to meet the bar manager and also to check out the place. Nessa tagged along with me for support even when she had repeatedly tried to convince me not to work. I, on the other hand, needed to work, especially after meeting with Lena and knowing that she was already doing an internship.

Working at a bar was far from an internship, but I did need to get a feel of the real world. I hadn't worked a day in my life and this was something good to distract myself and keep busy.

When I entered the bar, it was quiet as it was the middle of the day. I had called the manager earlier in the morning and he agreed to put me up on schedule for two weeks before giving me a permanent position since I didn't have any experience.

It was a lowkey bar that mostly served alcohol but sometimes did serve some food. It was quite clean as well and didn't have that smell of cheap booze. The inside was mostly dimly lit except for the lights on the bar.

I spotted a few faces already at the bar and a girl handing them drinks.

"Well, this is a quiet spot. Why haven't we been here before?" Nessa nudged at me and asked in a low whisper.

I shrugged, still looking around for the manager. "I don't know. Maybe because it's so far from campus."

"True."

When I couldn't find the manager, I approached the bartender who had stepped aside after serving drinks to the few men seated.

"Hey, I'm Aria, and I was looking for Mr. Shepard. I called him earlier and he told me to come after noon." I told her and she nodded.

"Oh, yes! You're the new one, aren't you?" A wide smile stretched over her mouth. "He just went to get something from his office. He should be back in a moment."

"Oh, that's great. Thank you so much—" I waited for her to tell me her name.

"Lotte. Lotte Hastings." She said.

"Nice to meet you, Lotte." I smiled back at her before turning to Nessa. "It's good, isn't it?"

"It is." Her head bobbed up and down and I knew she would like it.

When the manager returned, I spoke to him for a while about the shifts and all before he gave me my schedule, which started from tomorrow. It wasn't many hours, just a few and I believed I could manage it along with my studies and hanging out with Nessa and Sabrina.

Once I was done, I left the bar with Nessa who had already managed to finish a drink while waiting for me.

"It's so warm in here. We should totally come here again," she laughed while reaching the door to exit the bar.

"I'm going to be working here," I reminded her. "But I'll always be available to see you."

"And what if you're busy?"

"You have Sabrina."

"True, I do have her as well." She looped her arm over my shoulder and we left the bar together.

Just as I stepped out, cold air hit me hard in the face and I took a deep breath before beginning to walk along with Nessa. The parking lot was on the opposite side of the bar, which was pretty good for me—

Something in the air caught my attention.

A group of men walked past me and entered the bar the same instant we left and it took me a moment to notice it—the scent that lingered behind. It was a strong musky perfume. My heart skipped a beat and I glanced over my shoulders to see the men that had gone inside, but it was already too late, they were in.

"When do you plan on telling your mother?" Nessa asked, snapping me out of my trance.

I looked back at her, puzzled. "I don't know—probably today since I'm starting tomorrow."

"Good luck with that."

I sighed, not knowing what to say. I was already dreading it. I was completely unsure of my mother's reaction to me working. She never made me feel like I needed to, but I really wanted to this time.

When we reached her car, I sat in the driver's seat and switched on the engine as Nessa buckled herself in. My eyes remained fixed on the bar in front of me and I couldn't help myself. I knew that smell, that scent—I knew it.

Nessa waved her hand in front of me, "I know you're going to be obsessed with this place, but like, I want to go home. Can we leave?"

I snapped out of it and nodded, "Yeah, sorry."

Read up to 60 chapters on Patreon, or on my Inkitt Subscription.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions