Chapter 20

Aria

Once an old family estate, the Willowsworth mansion was now renowned for hosting the most epic weekend parties, courtesy of Lucien, the Mayor's son. There were no restrictions, no holding back. Everything and everyone was here. People partied like it was the end of their lives and they'd never get a chance to wake up tomorrow.

When I reached the mansion, I found the driveway crowded. There was clear smoke in the air, of weed and much more. I could see couples making out, drinking, taking body shots over luxury cars and fucking over motorcycles. It wasn't the typical college frat party, it was more than that.

I made my way through the chaos outside and stepped inside. The bass of the music pulsed through the walls, forcing me deeper into the crowd that was inside, and before I knew it, I was lost.

Towards the right, under a grand chandelier, there was a game of pokers going on and people had crowded near the table. To the left, there was a home bar, drinks being poured, given out, and glasses emptied.

It was all chaotic, just like it had been rumored to be.

"Aria!" My voice came through from the crowd. I furrowed my brows, not knowing who it was until I turned and found Lena making her way to me. "Is that you?"

She was an old high-school classmate, but now she was studying at Elmwood University, just in another program than mine.

"Yes, it's me," I replied with a smile stretched on my face. "How is it with you? I was wondering where you had gone. I didn't see you on campus this semester."

"Switched to evening classes. Daytime internship. You know, trying to get that real-world experience before graduating," She explained before sipping from the drink in her head. "Where's Nessa? I've been meaning to talk to her about something but it had slipped my mind until now, till I saw you."

"Oh, she's not here with me."

"You're alone here?" The surprise on her face was like a warning.

I hesitated for a second before answering. "Sort of. It's complicated." I wasn't here alone entirely. I mean, there was a reason I was here for.

Lena rolled her eyes dramatically, "You're not the one for chasing a guy. I know you better than that."

I laughed a little at her comment, feeling a hint of nostalgia from our high school days. "You're right. But I'm not chasing any guy, don't worry."

"That's the Aria I know," She emptied her glass and looked at me again. "Come on. Let's get some drinks and catch up."

I looked around the crowd, some of the faces were familiar while others weren't. Either way, I wasn't going to find Raven so quickly and the night was just starting here, in Willowsworth. It wasn't going to hurt if I had a drink or two. After all, I needed to feel a little buzzed after the whole ordeal at the lakehouse to enjoy tonight.

"Sure, why not? A drink sounds good."

A party—especially a party like this wasn't my usual scene. Sabrina and Nessa would kill me if they knew I came here, that too alone. It would be better if I didn't say anything to them till tomorrow. They would be sleeping anyway. And they could rage on me all they wanted to tomorrow.

"So, who are you with here?" I asked Lena as we sat down after grabbing ourselves drinks from the open home bar. "Or are you alone?"

"No, no," She leaned forward and gave her head a shake. "I'm here with a couple of my friends. We come every weekend and smoke pot."