Chapter 18 - Not a Date

We're at the restaurant Dumby invited me to. I had many questions in mind, but after the surprise of his first answer, we fell into awkward silence. — I'll save the world because mom said so... — I shouldn't be making fun of one's determination... But...  But looking at the bright side. This could also mean that he would not betray us! Unless his mom says so...

 I've been betrayed many times. The first ones were neighbors who saw me growing up. Then some said good people who wanted to help me, people who pledged loyalty to Lucavi...

" You don't look so good... " Dumby's voice pulls me back to reality. " Do you think my motivation is that bad? "

" Funny... To say the least. But is that all? "

" Oh, no, no! " He gets up, pushes his chair back, puts his right hand on his chest, and with a serious face, he stares at me. " I can't stand when they try to kill an innocent! Also, I saw with my own eyes! You try your best to save even those who attempted to kill you! And you're searching for the correct answer to this conflict! We have common goals. Traveling together is good for us both! "

 It's cute that he thinks me this way, but I must be truthful.

" You know I'm not that innocent. I did kill many. "

" I know. But if you tried to save everyone, you would end up dead, right? Also, I can't face Lu... The demon lord is in a battle right now. That dark energy of his is... Terrifying... But, if I travel with you long enough, I might overcome that fear, and defeating him in battle would be easier! "

" I see... " I don't see him beating Lucavi in one million years.

 Dumby sits again, full of pride, as if he said something very... deep. He tries to hide his silly smile, but it's useless. He's satisfied with the answer he gave. However, we have more urgent matters to attend to.

" About our copycat. We have to think like him if we want to find him. "

 The waitress brings our orders and puts everything on the table quickly and accurately.

"Bonapetit! " She says to Dumby, ignoring my presence, and goes away.

" She likes you. " I affirm.

" She likes everybody! "

 Dumby stares at me while I change my food with his. Confused, he asks.

" Why did you do that? "

" It might be poisoned. "

" I don't think so! She would... " He lowers his voice when he sees me gesturing silence with my index finger by my lips. He calms down and continues. " I don't think she would do that... " He whispers.

" The cooker, their chief, another waitress... Anyone could do that. Now, Take a bite from yours, then mine. "

 He looks at his food displeased, but yet he bites. I get back to what I was saying.

" Our copycat is using Lucavi's image to profit. We need to use this to our advantage. He stole weapons... He might be looking for more, or even artifacts and money.

 Dumby finishes chewing. I give him a piece of my sandwich. He eats it and asks with his mouth full.

" How is he doing that? "

" A doppelganger blessing, a devotion blessing, an artifact, or... a good actor with convincing skills. "

 Dumby is at a loss. He eats while looking at me with a poker face. I'm not surprised. Patience is something I have, so no matter.