Chapter 17 - Because mom said so

We ended up getting sidetracked. I know we need the equipment for the battles to come... But walking for me now is a challenge, even using a cane. Also, Lucavi isn't much help, as he scares most people and can't talk properly when he gets the chance to. He's a bad talker. The only thing he could do was watch for our safety up on the roofs.

 Ultimately, I was stuck with Dumby roaming the city for clues. At the very least, people aren't running from us in fear. However, Dumby isn't a good talker either. He merely stops people randomly and asks:

" Hey, did you see the demon lord walking through here? "

" Err... No. " Answers the lady with her baby in her arms, hugging him tighter and walking away slightly quicker.

" Okay, thanks. " He waves.

" We're not getting anywhere fast... " I facepalm.

" Yeah, but if we keep asking, we'll get to something. I know it! "

" You might be right... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be more clever. Let's sit on a bench by the square and think things through. "

" Why don't you rest while I search? "

" Because you'll end up doing something... Dumby style. Also, we need to eat something. "

" There's a good cafe in the train station near here. We can eat there and talk. "

" Sounds good. "

 Dumby guides me to said train station. I can't help but look around due to both paranoia and curiosity. North people are the ones who hate us the most, which makes me think, who would be stupid enough to pose as Lucavi here?

 Through narrow and uneven streets, we walk. Climb up iron stairs. From here onward, the floor is made of metal. We're near the main avenue that follows the train rails. Buildings are taller, and houses are... somewhat like bunkers integrated into the giant fortress. I would get crazy hearing this train's loud noises every morning. Does not make sense, such a thing in the middle of the city... at least for me.

 Things look fancier here. There are no beggars on the streets, houses in good shape, guards on every corner, big stores with large windows, and many things to see... I get lost when I'm here. There are too many people walking the streets! I'm Bumping on so many shoulders I might get stabbed without noticing...

" Hey! You okay!? You look like you saw a ghost! " I hear Dumby's worried voice, stifled by the crowd.

" I'm... fine. It's just that... I'm not too fond of crowded places, that's all. "

" Well, it's early in the morning. It's rush hour. Many stores are opening, and people are going to work! "

" This many? Isn't that dangerous? "

" Why would it be? "

" I... " I'm just being paranoid... am I not? " Forget it, let's eat. "

" Okay. Let's go. "

 There are all sorts of strange machines here. Fridges with glass doors and many things inside. Fridges with toys. Cold air is blowing from somewhere... There are too many things for me to notice... I can't help but browse everything in panic.

" Hey... You okay? " When I realize. Dumby is holding me by my shoulders and staring at me, worried. " Man, you said you don't do well in crowded places, but I didn't think it was this bad. Come, stay closer to me. I'm your bodyguard, after all! "

 Though unreliable, I stick closer to him... and try to at least spot Lucavi's hiding spot... but I can't...

 We arrived at the restaurant. By the entrance, there was a funny guy with black glasses and flashy clothes playing a saxophone. At his side, a reminder. A wanted poster of me and Lucavi... The way people portray us is rather funny. He's a big shadow with red eyes, and me, a little girl who looks possessed... I thought we were the North's top criminals...