Chapter 13 - Courage or Stupidity?

" It's afternoon. The clear skies are a soothing view after my time in the mines. My body still aches all over, my skin is burnt in many places, and my right leg is useless right now... My energy will take a good while to recover, as I don't have a blessing... The ping monster is nowhere to be seen, and those dark mages' origins are a mystery... Is that a good status report? "

" Yes, it is. Your clothes are ruined too. I can almost see everything. " 

 He sounds indifferent as usual... while I find myself trying to cover my body with torn clothes.

" That was... uncalled for... Where are we going? "

" Someplace where you can rest. Maybe to Nana's or... An abandoned house. "

" Maybe the granny's house. "

" I don't like her. "

" Do you like someone? "

" You and Nana... When you're cooking. "

" You almost made me happy. "

" Happy dreaming. "

 Sometimes, I imagine. What would people think seeing both of us talking so casually? When we're alone, Lucavi talks more calmly and tries to be less aggressive. I know he has his motives... But... Oh well...

 We reach the miner's village. Nothing new on the way here... except me trying to cover my butt as Lucavi moves me around without a care in the world.

" Maybe we should update their central so they can send soldiers if needed. " I state while we're passing by the mayor's house.

" We enter, get attacked, kill all the soldiers, destroy the village... How fun"

" Okay, forget it... Let's just... "

" Hey!! " Deja Vu... "Wait for me! "

" Oh, look. He caught up to us... " The dumb Hero runs past us and stops in front of us with both arms open and panting like crazy. " Finally... I... I... "

" You? " I await his speech while Lucavi keeps walking forward, ignoring his existence.

" One second... huff... puff... " Dumb Hero bends over, putting his hands on his knees. " I said, wait a second... "

 But Lucavi doesn't care and keeps walking. The Hero unsheathes his blade and prepares it for combat. But before he says anything, Lucavi does. " Witness all of you!! " He shouts with a thundering voice so all the village can Hear him. " Another fool wants my head! He would go as far as to attack a frail girl who can barely move! And put at risk this entire village! " He turns to the Hero with his eyes reflecting his madness. " Now so-called Hero. Say the words! And let's begin! "

 I can see the fear in his eyes as he opens his mouth without saying anything. People start scattering everywhere, soon leaving the main square almost empty. And yet the Hero says nothing. The wind blows the dust like in an old cowboy's duel scene.

" Hmph, Good answer. " Lucavi starts to turn around when we finally hear the Hero's voice " I... Cha, Cha... I Challenge you! "

 Saying those words is like making a summoning ritual. As the Dumb Hero shuts his lips after chanting those words, Lucavi's eyes glow red. The blue skies are devoured by dark clouds swirling above us like the eye of a tornado. The shadows of his overcoat extend as if his body took over the entire place. Dark particles are swarming everywhere. Darkness forms beneath me, holding me in the air and creating a cocoon-like prison with a tiny window from where I can see the outside.

" Congratulations, boy. You have balls, after all. "

 People often portray Lucavi as an immense shadow with red eyes and a gaping maw. While it's not wrong, it's not accurate either. This shadow form is an Illusion created by the fear they felt combined with Lucavi's power.