The Abyss

STILL ON DYLAN'S POV
Anabella sat on the floor immediately after I spoke, tears began to stream down her eyes, I knelt beside her as I patted her on the shoulder. "Hey, I am sorry," I said quietly. "You are not the problem, I am. I have forgotten who I was and what I wanted owing to all these duties, I forgot my love," she said while I continued to pat on her back.

"Then go back to your love," I said after a while. "Even if I go back, can I get him out of prison?" she said to my surprise. "Prison! how come?" I asked.

I needed to ask right? There is an urgent need within that demands an answer.

She stood and sat on the edge of the bed, I joined us as I crossed my legs and rested my head on it as I prepared for a full gist like the humans say. "It goes many years back, in my prime era. I met this young man, he was a human. I escaped to the surface several times without my mother's knowledge, I promised him a lot of things and he did the same. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned to months, months turned to years and as a human he expected me to accompany him home but as a royal mermaid born in the sea, I haven't lived up to the years I would be able to transform into a human" she paused as she Inhaled the fresh air coming in through the window. Right then, my ears were on attention to what she was saying because it would benefit me one way or the other as long as we could both work together to abolish the tradition.

"So what happened next, am all ears," I said so she could continue the story. "Then, I tried several times to turn into a human but I failed and I did not stop, I continued till I failed again and again so he asked me to stop I also sensed the love in his eyes. A few days later, I was with him then all I saw was a loud thud of waves. We both held our hands, I closed my eyes and I felt his touch gradually leave me. When I opened my eyes my mother was right in front of me..." she said but I cut her off. "What! the queen!" I was shocked knowing trouble had arrived.

"Yes, the queen. I was so tense that I could do nothing, but I saw him already locked in a magical cage. I swam as fast as possible but I couldn't make it, I begged Mother to save his life and she did after a lot of pleas" She stopped suddenly while I stood up from my seat wanting to know the rest of the horror story before me.

Did I just say 'horror', yes it was that kind of story to me.

"Continue, I want to hear the last part" I requested firmly. "We went back to Lemuria, she allowed him to live but on a condition. She locked him up" she explained and that cropped up a question in my mind. "Where is he locked up?" I asked. "In the Abyss of Lemuria," she finally dropped the bombshell while I covered my mouth with my hand.

Abyss!

I was so shocked that I moved back from her immediately, the story itself is enough for her to cry not to talk of the punishment. That was too much of a punishment for him, how does she expect a human to live there?

"No merman or mermaid has ever been able to get out of that place for ages. None of them made it alive, and a human...I don't think he will still be alive" I said. "Why do you think so?" she asked. "I said so because I overheard my father telling my mother one day while I was passing by and he also mentioned something about blood...." I struggled to remember the rest of the words he said that day.

"Blood revival" she completed it for me. "Yeah.. that one, it was what he said that day. How do you know about it?" I asked and she walked away from the window she was standing earlier towards me. "My mother told your father," she said. "But why and why do you know she told him?" I asked. "I think she never intended to keep him there that long in the first place, but she's gone now. She died, you know. That must have been why she called your father, they have not been on terms for a long time after they failed to marry each other. So few days after that incident, why do you think she can call him?" she asked and I understood it all.