I gave a subtle nod in affirmation, averting my gaze. She had accepted my apology, accepted my gift, yet she didn't wear the necklace.

A bitter emotion engulfed me, one I attempted to push away but that stubbornly clung to my heart. I had witnessed her wearing a necklace; she never took it off. I had noticed the silver chain several times, though the entire locket was always concealed under her clothes. It couldn't be that she disliked wearing necklaces; she simply chose not to wear the one I gave her...

"This is the girl your mother and I have chosen for you." My gaze abruptly shifted to Grandpa, my mouth agape, staring at him dumbfounded. "Do you still have an objection?"

"Huh? How? When? No..." I blurted, stumbling over my words, "I mean, does Elysia know about this?" I asked, trying to process everything, my heart doing flips in my chest.

"She doesn't yet; we have met her mother, Sandra Lawson, and she would like to meet you. That's why I called you," he informed. My racing heart calmed down automatically, returning to its usual pace, realizing she was oblivious to all this.

"Wait a minute!" I interjected, frustration and disbelief etched on my face. "You didn't even talk to me or Elysia and met her mother behind her back, and that too, in a hospital? How could you?" I remarked incredulously.

Elders can be incredibly intrusive sometimes...

"So, you're not willing to meet her and marry Elysia?" Grandpa asked calmly, choosing to overlook my comment.

"Of course, not!" I retorted, my tone firm. "I'm not marrying her like this," I stated, determination lacing my words.

I don't even know what she thinks about me. How could they expect me to agree without knowing her feelings?

"Fine, it's your choice," Grandpa replied, placing his cigar down on the tray and gathering the pictures scattered on the table. I noticed they were all of Elysia, captured in various moments — in elevators, at the office, in hospital, and more.

What the...?

"Jonathan! Did you prepare the men's list?" Grandpa addressed Jonathan, completely disregarding my presence.

What men's list?!!

My eyebrows furrowed as I observed a file in Jonathan's hands. Before I could inquire about the pictures of Elysia, he stepped forward, placing a file on the table.

"Here, Mr. Knight. As per Mrs. Lawson's requirements, I have prepared the list of all eligible men for Miss Lawson." My lips parted in shock at his statement, my gaze moving back and forth between the file and them.

"What the heck is going on here?" I got up, seizing the file before Grandpa could pick it up.

Opening the file, I sifted through the list of several guys, each accompanied by a basic background check, my hands formed fists, jaws clenched in death grip.

"We aren't forcing you to get married. Just help me select a man for Elysia Lawson. Your mother has been visiting Sandra lately, and they have become friends, so Sandra is searching for a good proposal for her daughter and Joelle offered her help. You may have met several ones on the list; who do you think would be nice for her?" Grandpa explained nonchalantly, as if he didn't just ask me to choose a man for Elysia.

If he had so much free time to play the role of a matchmaker, I couldn't help but think that I should have sent him on an extended vacation to another continent for a year or two...

I closed the file in my hands with a sharp, resounding flip, shifting my gaze back to Grandpa.

"None of them," I stated through clenched teeth, my knuckles turning pale white from the intense grip on the folder. "She isn't marrying any of them," I added firmly, the weight of my words echoing in the room. Grandpa calmly stared at me behind his glasses, his expression unreadable.