Chapter Ten

One hour later:

"Why did you send them in the wrong direction?" I ask Simeon. I have learned his name by now, along with the easily discernible fact he is a Samaritan, and that his family lives in a village not far off. He probably knows Ephraim. He probably could use to be in his good graces.

"Answer me," I say, my tone a mixture of pleading and defiance.

He shrugs, then takes a bite from the apple he'd pulled from his bag. Another two are already in my stomach.

"Did they look angry?" I ask.

He makes a face. "I once saw Ephraim beat a horse to death," is all he says. I shiver as he gets up.

"Don't worry, they won't be back," he says. "Stay here tonight. Tomorrow you can get halfway to Jerusalem if you hurry."

A strange light comes into his eyes, and my interest is piqued.

"And you not afraid for yourself if they find me with you?"

He snorts. "Me, afraid?"

I nod. "Alright," I say. "You may not be afraid of much, but still keep on your side of the clearing. I have this after all." I lift up the little knife he'd given me, and a softness comes into his eyes.

"Ah, right, that. Now I am very afraid." He smiles and suddenly days-worth of tension eases from my shoulders, and I can't help but smile back.