Prologue Part 1

Narrator's POV

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep...........

Emerald rolled over to the side of her bed to shut off her phone alarm and rubbed the sleep from her eyes before sitting up groggily. With her comfortable bed, going to school was the last thing that she wanted to do. 

She climbed out of bed and trudged her way to the bathroom to take a shower and brush her teeth. When she came out, she wrapped a towel around her body and made her way to her bedroom to get dressed. 

As she scanned her closet for an outfit, her phone began to vibrate before erupting into a ringtone that she recognized as her best friend, Serena. 

"Hello?" Emerald said, placing the phone between her ear and shoulder as she pulled out a pink shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. 

"Hey, Em." Serena chirped. "What's up?" 

"Nothing, looking for something to wear. Should I wear sneakers or flats today?" 

"Sneakers. Anyway, I was calling to ask if you wanted a drive to school today."

"Sure. That would be nice." 

"Good, because I'm in your driveway. I will be waiting." 

"Okay. Be down in five minutes." 

Emerald hung up the phone before pulling on her clothes and stuffing her feet into a pair of Chucks. She threw her books and cell phone in her handbag before slinging it over her shoulder and heading downstairs. 

"Good morning, sweetie." Her mom, Elizabeth, said in a happy voice. "I know that you are rushing so I made you some waffles and put it in a bag for you." 

"Thanks." Emerald said before giving her mom a quick kiss and running out the door. 

When she reached outside, she immediately recognized Serena's red Mercedes parked in her driveway. 

"About time!" Serena yelled through the window as Emerald went around the passenger side and buckled herself in. 

"I didn't even take that long." Emerald said she checked her reflection. Her purple braces peeked out from under her lips and her glasses that were perfectly balanced on her nose had titled to one side, as it always did. Shamed by her less-than-perfect features, she looked away from the mirror and stared ahead. 

"I know." Serena said, laughing as she backed out of the driveway before driving in the direction of their school. 

"I really didn't want to go to school today." Emerald said. 

"Why not?" Serena asked, stealing a glance at her. 

"Because that means that I have to endure six and a half hours of chastisement from everyone in the school." 

"It's not that bad." Serena said. "Their just poking fun at you." 

Emerald rolled her eyes. "No, they're not. I just can't wait to get out of the school." 

"You never know," Serena said. "A boy in the school might find you totally breathtaking." 

"As if. The only time a boy would ever ask me out if he was dared."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caleb's POV 

"What's up, man?" I heard as a hand clapped on my left shoulder. I looked to my right and saw Joshua, my best friend for almost ten years, flashing me a toothy grin. 

"Hey, man." I said, giving him a handshake. "What's up?" 

"Nothing, really. I was wondering if you wanted to come with me down the bowling rink later today."