• FIFTEEN •

DAHYUN rocked gently on her toes and balls of her heels while impatiently awaiting Jungkook's return with his car. Jungkook decisively declined the parking valet's assistance, opting instead to retrieve his car from the parking lot.

In Jungkook's absence, Dahyun found herself alone with Taehyung. However, the atmosphere between them mirrored a familiar silence.

As the situation unfolded, Dahyun reflected, thinking, 'If this occurred in the past, I would have likely filled the air with chatter, risking his patience until he retreated back into the restaurant.'

Yet, the current circumstances painted a distinct picture. She had undergone change and certain maturity from all the things that had happened in her past life. Despite the ongoing internal struggles within her mind, she's determinedly avoiding interaction with Taehyung to safeguard herself from potential future harm.

"You look different than your sister," Taehyung's baritone voice cut through the air, causing Dahyun's lower limbs to freeze in place.

A moment of stillness enveloped her, an abrupt pause as if time itself had halted. Her arms, too, succumbed to a temporary paralysis, rendering her unable to even sway her bag.

"I've seen your brother, too. Seokjin-ssi. He's a good man," he added, the resonance of Taehyung's words settling into the air. As Dahyun heard about him knowing her brother at this point of time, a subtle thawing occurred within her, dispelling the mental frost that had seemingly immobilized her lower limbs.

Summoning a nervous chuckle, she stammered, "Y-yeah. They both look stunning." Her voice, though initially hesitant, gained traction as she found her footing in the conversation.

"Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to say that you're the ugly one..." Taehyung's unexpected words hung in the air, eliciting a widening of Dahyun's eyes.

This was the man who rarely cast glances her way, never initiated conversations, and always veered out of her path in her previous life. But now, he's talking more than he used to talk to her.

In the brief pause that followed, her mind raced with uncertainty.

'Is he going to say I'm prettier than-'

Before her thoughts could complete the question, Taehyung's next words cut through the anticipation.

"...but I don't mean that you're pretty either."

The weight of his declaration settled, leaving Dahyun caught in a moment of awkward stillness, a paint of surprise etched across her features.

"What I was trying to say is they're tall, and you're that short. And your skin... You're too pale. You seemed to lack confidence as well," he added. The words, delivered with a hint of jest, lingered in the air. However, Taehyung's baritone voice coupled with an unreadable expression created a murky atmosphere, making it challenging for Dahyun to decipher whether it was a mere joke or a subtle critique, even an unintended insult.

As she processed his words, Dahyun's hand subconsciously went to her hair, tucking a strand behind her ear nervously. A wry smile formed on her lips, "Oh, well, thank you for reminding me of my insecurities, Sir," she commented, her tone carrying a touch of sarcasm, her eyes briefly dropping to the floor.

Before Taehyung could utter a response to defend himself, Jungkook appeared in front of them, his car awaiting. The window of the passenger's seat rolled down, and he beckoned, "Get in before they could stop us."

A valet stepped forward, eager to assist, opening the car door for them. His first gesture was directed at Dahyun, urging her with a polite "Ma'am?" as he extended his hand toward the inviting interior of the passenger's seat.