• THIRTEEN •

JENNIE raised an eyebrow, her tone laced with surprise. "Gracious, Kim Dahyun. What kind of pick is that? Didn't I buy you a dress last night?" Her eyes scanned Dahyun's unconventional outfit for the night's dinner with Madame Kim.

Dahyun's transformation for the evening was nothing short of a style metamorphosis. At the forefront of her ensemble was an oversized t-shirt with its sleeves meticulously folded to her elbows. Adding a layer of eclectic charm, Dahyun donned dungarees, its ends folded with precision as well.

Her attire crescendoed with the inclusion of a red Saffiano leather bucket bag, a gift from her mother on her last birthday, dangled at her side, injecting a burst of color against her ensemble. Grounding her feet were black Dr. Martens sandals.

Unlike on her previous life, her hair was colored with a gray hue; this time, she embraced her blonde locks where her brownish-black roots were peaking on her scalp.

Jennie's frustration showed as she eyed Dahyun's outfit. "Do I need to remind you where we're going?" she asked, her tone exasperated. Her hands gestured in emphasis.

"We're meeting the person who helped us with our studies at a three-star Michelin restaurant," Jennie continued, her fingers punctuating each word. "And with that get-up," she declared, her hand sweeping across to encompass the entirety of Dahyun's outfit, "people would laugh at you or possibly mistake you as — I don't mean to shame anybody — a maintenance worker for the place."

Dahyun's defiance radiated as she defended her choice. "But I'm more comfortable with this, eonni," she asserted, her hands gesturing towards her outfit as if to emphasize the point. "In fact, Appa said we can wear anything as long as we look presentable and free because that's what matters." Her stance remained resolute, and she stood firm, making it clear she had no intention of changing her attire.

Jennie, unyielding in her concern, shot back with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, but Appa didn't say you should dress like you're just going to the convenience store to buy soju," she quipped.

As the tension escalated, the matriarch of the Kim family, with a discerning eye, caught sight of Dahyun's attire. "Excuse me, Ms. Kim? You're wearing that? Have you got no shame?" The mother's words cut through the air, her tone screams disapproval. Her hands gestured towards Dahyun's outfit, judging.

Mrs. Kim, unapologetically blunt, seized the moment by pushing her youngest daughter towards the stairs. The forceful motion was accompanied by a pointed gesture, directing Dahyun to retreat to her room and change her outfit.

"But eomma~ we got no time to change. We will be late~" Dahyun countered, her voice carrying a hint of sulking resistance. Despite the plea, she made herself deliberately heavier, a subtle physical protest against being pushed.

Mrs. Kim's frustration peaked as she resorted to pinching Dahyun on the side. "It's better to be late than for us to go and meet an important person with you wearing that. Go and change! We'll wait for you!" Her fingers, emphasizing each word, punctuated the urgency of the situation as she nudged Dahyun toward the direction of her room.

Dahyun winced at the sharp sting of her mother's pinch, cutting through her resolve. The urgency of the situation spurred her into immediate action, and with a reluctant sigh, she ascended the stairs.

In a matter of minutes, Dahyun emerged from her room, adorned in a more formal ensemble. She was wearing a black floral motif pleated maxi dress that gracefully cascaded down to her ankles. Its fabric swayed with each step she made.

Completing her refined look were simple yet chic 3-inch tall black sandals, the muted elegance of which complemented the ensemble without overshadowing her dress. Dahyun's jewelry choices were similarly understated – floral earrings and a slender bracelet.