Chapter twenty-eight

The drive home was content between the two of them.
Optimus had taken Carolina back to base to retrieve her things before they headed back toward her residence.

However since neither of them wanted to part ways just yet, they agreed to go for a brief drive, stop at a gas station to fill the Autobot's fuel tank, and then she would go home.

Carolina, who had recovered from her momentary nap earlier; was now perfectly awake as they drove through the dark. The mechanic's fingers caressed to leather seating in a contented and relaxed manner.

The passenger seat beside her was vacant of the earlier present Holoform but she didn't mind. It was the real Optimus whose company she enjoyed, not some physical illusion that allowed them "human" moments; she liked being with him in his two true forms.

Very briefly, her mind flickered back to when they had arrived on base to collect her bag; Optimus had chosen to stay close to her while she retrieved her things by keeping the Peterbilt rolling behind her.

She just knew that the others could see something different between the two of them; not that she cared in the slightest, she just knew that there was going to be teasing...particularly from Sideswipe and Ironhide.

The two Autobots had become her surrogate brothers at the base; a relationship she often missed with her real ones due to distance and busy schedules.

"You know, Sides and Ironhide are going to have a field day teasing us about this." She said softly, her head rested against the seat as she smiled at the thought.

Optimus was silent for a moment before he spoke to her from the radio speakers, "I will have a word with them. You will not be harassed about-"

"-Oh no, no, no Chief!" she said quickly, placing a hand on the steering wheel with a laugh, "I didn't mean it like that! I was just saying that we should expect it, but don't tell them not to comment about it. You can't stop family from being family; it's what they do."

"...What do you mean?"

Tucking her ankles under the lip of the seat, she grinned into the rear-view mirror as she spoke to him. "I mean...they're like family to both of us.

Carolina felt a reminiscent smile slide across her features, unable to avoid doing so as the wonderful memories of her beloved and annoying siblings crossed her mind.

"Then you get to tease them back when they have something to make fun of; it's what families do. No matter how much you may fight or argue, you've always got each other's backs..."

She heard a chuckle rumble its way up the line, the sound reverberating through the speakers around her; Optimus had not missed the fondness in her voice; nor did he miss the irony of their opposing situations.

He and his brother, Megatron and himself...

They had been warring for centuries, and there was no turning back from that; there was no 'got your back' situation between them. Nor would there ever be. To hear her speak so fondly, so warmly of those that she called 'brother' was intriguing and relieving.

He wanted to hear more...to have her tell him about the way brothers were supposed to be... Although he was not usually one to enquire as to personal affairs, he realized that considering the much more...intertwined nature of his relationship with Carolina; he was more entitled to the privilege of her more personal stories. Besides...he was curious. "You speak from experience?" he asked gently.

As expected, her smile broadened. "Absolutely. I grew up with two cousins, and both of them were older. We used to fight all the time when we were kids, but I just loved them so much; I still do. We could never fight for very long before we'd turn everything into good fun." She giggled at the thought; there were so many good times between the three of them.