Part 3 ~ Chapter 17

Start from the beginning

"Well then I guess you'll have to be very careful about where you transform and who you transform around when you're mature then, won't you?" Hiccup said as he ruffled his son's hair playfully.

Toothless laughed and pushed his hand away. "Yeah, yeah, I got it. Don't transform around humans once I'm fifteen unless I wanna end up bonding with them. Duly noted."

Hiccup smiled and rested his arms against the table as he crossed them loosely, his eyes focused on the journal again. Toothless followed suit and went back to reading.

"'It should be noted, though, that humans that have transformed into Night Furies cannot initiate bonds themselves. Only pure Night Furies have the capability to initiate bonds and they can only form one of each kind of bond. But, once the Night Fury has matured or the human that witnesses has already been bonded to another Night Fury, the parental bond can no longer be created. This should also be kept in mind when it comes to the species bond. If a human has already been bonded to another Night Fury, there cannot be a species bond created between human and dragon.'"

"Well that explains why no one else in the tribe has transformed into Night Furies. Which is definitely a good thing." Hiccup said with relief.

Toothless nodded in agreement. "Mhm. These limits make sense, too. If they weren't there, then the whole world would probably be Night Furies."

Hiccup laughed a bit and nodded.

"Yeah, yeah it would be."

Toothless then flipped the page and noticed the chapter split into a separate process. The second section of the chapter was information on the transformation process for each bond, paired with drawings to depict certain things that happen during the process, just like in the previous chapters.

"I think I can wait on reading this part of the chapter. Don't really need to know any of this right now since I'm still a hatchling and don't even have a parental bond. Plus, I already kinda know the ins and outs of the parental bond transformation because of you going through it." Toothless said with a shrug.

"Yeah, you've got a point there. Maybe once you're old enough to read through chapter four we can read through the transformation process so you're aware of what could happen." Hiccup agreed as he took the journal and flipped to the last chapter, making sure to keep the pages out of Toothless' line of sight as he did. "Do you wanna read the last one, or are you done?"

Toothless tapped his chin in thought then shook his head. "I'm done."

Hiccup nodded and began to read through the last chapter.

"'As with most dragon species, we Night Furies have our own special abilities. One that was mentioned earlier on in the journal is the ability to transform into humans. This ability allows us to blend in with the humans that roam this world just like we do. With this form, we keep scales to cover our chests and nether regions to keep us safe from humans that would wish us bodily harm. Not only that, but we can have scales appear anywhere on our bodies for that same reason.'"

"Whoa..that's so cool! I never knew that we could do that!" Toothless said excitedly as he bounced in his seat.

Hiccup chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, it's pretty cool isn't it? Will definitely be of use."

Toothless nodded quickly and looked at the journal in wonder as he waited for Hiccup to continue reading, which the elder Night Fury obliged.

"'Our scales can also appear from anger, starting from the eyes and spreading slowly across our bodies the more enraged we become. Before the scales appear, though, our eyes will change form to that of our dragon form, but the whites of our eyes will stay unless we fully transform. Another thing that can appear is our wings and tails. This creates a form called the hybrid form, which allows us to communicate with humans while being able to fly and use our claws as self-defense.'"

"Okay, I knew about the hybrid form, but it's still cool that they explain everything about it." Toothless said and Hiccup nodded in agreement.

"Sure is." He said before he flipped the page and went back to reading. "'While most dragons use fire, as you may know already, we Night Furies use plasma instead. This could be in the form of blasts or a constant stream. Depending on how it is used, matured Night Furies typically have a shot limit of six. Another ability we possess is echolocation. This allows us to know where things are in vast or dark areas and allows us to communicate with one another and other dragon species that have this same ability.'"

"Cool..does it say what age you've gotta be to learn how to do that?" Toothless asked as he leaned closer against the table with curious eyes.

Hiccup scanned the page for the answer. "'Although hatchlings learn to use their plasma at a very young age for self-defense reasons, the echolocation cannot be learned until the dragon is matured.'"

"Aw mannn.." Toothless whined in disappointment as he slumped against the table.

Hiccup chuckled and shook his head with a small smile. Toothless then noticed there was more information and sat upright again with a curious look in his toxic green eyes.

"What else does it say Dad?"

Hiccup found where he left off and resumed reading. "'Another ability that is rather useful for our species is the ability to understand dragons and humans in whatever form we are in. With this ability comes the knowledge of understanding both the human language and the dragon tongue, which allows us to speak both fluently in the form it corresponds with.'"

"Wow. That's pretty useful. And makes sense, honestly. Would be weird if we couldn't do that. And hard to have conversations." Toothless said as he looked at the drawings in the journal.

Hiccup chuckled and nodded in agreement. "Yeah it would be."

He then flipped through the remaining pages and saw that the rest was just drawings showing each kind of ability.

"And that's everything. Well, besides the sections that we didn't read through that is." He said as he closed the journal and placed it on the table, putting his full attention on his eldest again. "So, what'd ya think bud? You find out what you wanted to?"

Toothless nodded with a joyous smile. "Yup. I'm glad we were able to get this. It's nice to be able to know more about our species."

"It sure is." Hiccup said with a smile.

Their attention was torn away when they heard small claws against wood, only to see Kala coming downstairs with her plush clamped gently in her maw by its scruff, her teeth sheathed to keep from puncturing holes in the fur.

Hiccup smiled and picked her up when she pawed at his leg. Kala then snuggled close to his chest, dropping the plush into her front paws as she fell back asleep.

~~~HTRYNF~~~