Chapter 21

I wasn't sure how long I had been asleep for when I finally came too.

Blinking in confusion, I glanced around the pure white room, realizing I was in a hospital room. I winced, looking down to see my arm was in a cast. Did my arm break while I was being attacked? It was likely, she shoved me pretty hard into the bookshelf.

At that reminder I sat up straight, wincing in pain at the quick movement. Was she still here? Did they get her? I don't remember a single thing after she shoved me harshly into the bookshelf and made me bleed, intending to kill me. I must have blacked out.

Glancing around the room again, I spotted my dad sitting in a chair beside me. He was asleep, and I wondered how long he had been here. On the other side of me was Paul, who was also asleep. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, not understanding how I even got here in the first place.

"Ah you're awake," a suave voice echoes into the room, making me blink as I look up to see Dr. Cullen walking inside, a clipboard in his hands as he gives me a small smile. "They've been here since you were admitted two days ago," he nods towards my dad and fiancée - though my fiancée was starting to stir a little bit hearing voices in the room.

"I..." I trailed off with a wince when I felt something tighten around my hand, not realizing that Paul had been holding it the entire time. His eyes blinked open as he looked over at me, his own widening at the sight of me being awake.

"Laney..." Paul breathes, relief flooding onto his face as he leans forward to pull me into a hug. Immediately I melted into him, burying my face into his shoulder. "Thank the fuck that you're okay!" He kisses my temple, and I shuddered a deep breath.

"I'll give you two a moment. Remember that your father is right there so don't talk about anything that you don't want him to know," Dr. Cullen nods towards my sleeping father before slipping out of the room, leaving Paul and I mostly alone to gather our thoughts.

It was quiet for a few moments. Paul just held me, needing the comfort that I was there and I just let him. I needed the comfort of his arms around me, needed to know that I was alive and well and that Crystal hadn't killed me. Seth and Brady had gotten there on time to save me, and I was super grateful for that.

"When Seth told me that you had been admitted to the hospital I about lost it," he admitted, kissing my temple again - as if to reassure himself that I was still there in his arms. "When he told me why you were admitted..." he trails off with a shudder, holding me closer to his chest.

"I'm okay," I kissed his shoulder, rubbing my hand up and down his back reassuringly. "I'm okay and I am here." I was lucky. If Seth and Brady hadn't gotten there when they did, who knows what would have happened otherwise. She hadn't had time to sink her teeth into me, so I didn't get changed. Or worse.

Nodding his head, he kisses my temple again and again. "It's over," he tells me softly, tilting my head up so he could see my eyes. "Crystal's dead. Victoria's dead. The army is dealt with. It's over." He repeats softly, in case dad was awake - though he hadn't stirred since I woke up.

I breathed out in relief, leaning forward to kiss him. He kissed me back just as eagerly, tilting my head so his lips could mold with mine. Before it could go any further however I heard the chair on the other side of me creak. Pulling away from my fiancée, I saw dad starting to stir and my eyes lit up. "Dad!" I breathed, and his eyes widened in alert when he heard my voice.

"Laney!" He gets up quickly, pulling me out of Paul's arms who whined but we both ignored him - hugging each other tightly. "Thank goodness..." He breathes in relief, pulling away to show-case his fear that ran through his eyes. "I was so so scared... when they told me you had been attacked by some bear that had gotten into La Push..." He frowns at a thought that popped into his head, shaking his head and giving me a worried look.

Bear, huh? So that's what they used? I guess it fit, considering everything that was happening lately. "I'm okay," I promised, cupping my dads face into my hands. "Some hunters got to me in time." I looked over to Paul, who nodded his head. That must have been the story that they told him.

"I'll go get Dr. Cullen," he mutters awkwardly, glancing over at my fiancée who schooled his face. "Take care of her." He demands, and we both knew what he meant.

"With my life, sir." Paul replies back, giving me a loving look. "She is my life, afterall."

With a nod dad leaves the room, leaving Paul and I completely alone. "Lets get married," Paul states, and I give him a raised eyebrow.

"We're already getting married..." I trailed off with a chuckle, reminding him by bringing up the engagement ring that he had bought me and placed on my finger a few weeks ago.

Frowning he shakes his head, taking that hand into his own and giving it a squeeze. "No, I mean right now. Lets get married next week. I know we were going to let Sam and Emily get married first but... but after today I don't want to wait." My eyes widened at that and I opened my mouth to say something but no words came out. "We can get Billy to officiate for us. All we need is who is here right now to come and see our marriage to each other. Please," he pleads, giving me a pleading look. "I... I don't think I can wait much longer to get married to you."

My thoughts were running a mile a minute, but one thing was for sure. I knew I wanted to marry this man. He was the love of my life, and even if we waited or got married now, that would not change anything. "Okay," I nodded my head, and his face lit up. "We can have a beach wedding. I'm sure I can get a wedding dress from my mother, and get her to fly out here next week. If not her, I can get Alice to find me a last minute wedding dress." I murmured, thinking everything through.

"I'm sure she'd be happy to assist you." Dr. Cullen's voice entered the room again, dad being beside him with a small smile on his face. "Congratulations, you two. I'll call her and let her know, though I am sure she already does." He chuckles fondly of his adopted daughter, and my heart started beating quickly at the thought.

We were getting married, and I wouldn't have it any other way.