Chapter 06: The Duke of the North

"The Gods bestowed upon the first King the magic that would help him rule over his kingdom

"The Gods bestowed upon the first King the magic that would help him rule over his kingdom. And the symbol for that power is..." Marceline gasped, gazing at her reflection. "These aurora eyes."

She leaned back, gently settling her back on the bookshelf, her fingertips lightly grazing her chin. Her brow furrowed, attempting to recall the notes where had written something about the connection of aurora borealis and the awakening of one's magic.

"This information isn't in my worksheet," said Marceline, her fingers moving from her chin to her lips, intensifying her deep thoughts. "This means that the system also had access to those random scribbles I wrote out of fun, even if I, myself, do not remember where I had put them or I already lost them. The system really connected everything, huh? If it's me, it will take me a while to figure this out."

She looked up at the ceiling and closed her eyes, muttering the words, "System?"

But as she expected, the system did not answer her call.

She looked over her shoulder and saw Aliyah hanging her head low and softly snoring. She then roamed her eyes around and caught the librarian trying to peek about her whereabouts. She sighed, shaking her head.

"The system is a bit shy, huh? It doesn't show itself when there's other people around."

Marceline returned her gaze at her reflection once again and a thought suddenly struck her head.

"My eyes...they're the same as what the first King described. It's safe to assume that his descendants married other nobilities, thus passing the magical traits to other families. That's why only those with noble blood have magic. However, in this family, only the pink hue of the aurora had been abundant...except mine."

"I only gave this character aurora-colored eyes because I just love writing about villains and aurora borealis! But given the context now, there must be a special reason behind these colors." She tugged her hair in frustration and pouted, her shoulders dropping. "Man, I didn't know my obsession with aurora borealis will give me this headache. But oh well..."

She lifted her hand and began counting her fingers. "The colors that were in aurora borealis are shades of green, pink, red, blue, and violet. As far as I can remember, I gave Regina, my main female lead, green eyes that resemble emeralds, so that means that the current royal lineage has that color right now. But what about Master Emilio? That one has hazel brown eyes, but he's a renowned mage."

"Young lady, the true colors of his eyes are purple."

Marceline jerked her head at her side, slightly startled. "O-Oh, you're awake, Aliyah. How long have you been up?"

Aliyah gently stretched her arms and gave her master a smile. "Not so long, my lady. I only heard you talking about that mage's eyes."

"Ah, I see," Marceline said, feeling a wave of relief easing her chest. "Okay. He must have his reasons then."