Chapter 02: House of Bellafiore

"Is this for real?!"

Marceline admired her beautiful face. "The last thing that I can remember is that I had a stroke after I wrote the initial chapters of my new book. My dying wish was to continue it and then suddenly, when I opened my eyes, I'm actually inside of my novel?!"

She stopped for a moment, and her lips suddenly curved into a wide smile. With dreamy eyes, she exclaimed, "This must be a dream!"

"Lady Marceline!"

Marceline flinched because of the sudden commotion and raised her eyebrow. "Jeez, you guys can knock, you know?"

"Your health is the utmost priority." The maid said coldly and stepped forward, guiding Marceline towards the bed. She then turned to the old man in robes she entered with. "Healer, please assess the lady's condition."

"If you'll let me..."

The old man approached Marceline and waved his hand across her face. Two yellow magic circles appeared, one larger and the other smaller, rotating accordingly to align with the runes woven into their respective arcane energies.

"Seems like the young lady is in normal condition," declared the doctor, retracting his magic.

Marceline remained silent, admiring and burning the magic she had witnessed in her brain. Her eyes were sparkling like a child.

"Oh..." The maid's eyebrow raised, looking unconvinced, recalling Marceline's strange behaviour. "Healer, are you really sure about this?"

"Yes, I am certain about this matter, Miss," assured the doctor, his gaze shifting to Marceline. "Lady Marceline, is there anything that makes you uncomfortable or causes you any discomfort that you'd like to tell me?"

Marceline blinked, suprised by the gentleness of the old man's voice, and cleared her throat.

"None that I am aware of, but I feel fine. Thank you," responded Marceline in a composed tone, making the maid shook her head with disbelief.

"Alright then, I'll be going."

"Thank you, healer!"

When the doctor had already left, the maid picked up her silver tray and gave Marceline a glass of water. 

"Drink."

Marceline took a sip of the water and quenched the thirst she did not even know that she had. However, her eyes widened when she felt something strange about the liquid flowing inside her throat. The water had a rought texture and it tasted like mud. Her stomach churned out of disgust. Clasping it, she quickly expelled the water out of her mouth, sputtering and coughing as she struggled to get rid of that revolving taste. 

"S-Sand?!"

Marceline jerked her head towards the maid and glared at her, but the maid only stared with full of contempt and even smirked, as if Marceline deserved that kind of treatment.