Chapter 28: Sweet Sixteen

December came quickly, and so did the snow. Rosella couldn't imagine a better time of year, especially now that they didn't have to worry about running out of firewood. She tended to the flames as she read by the fire. Mitch was on the couch above her, helping her study. Snow was falling outside, swirling against the windows.

"Do you have any birthday plans?"

"Just you guys coming for dinner. And the Plinth's I think. It's not a day my family particularly enjoys to celebrate.''

"Right... sorry."

"It's hardly your doing."

"I meant it as an expression of sympathy, not an apology of regret."

"You talk far too formal, Mitchum," Rosella mocked.

"My apologies," he smiled. "That was an expression of regret, you see."

"My, you are a good teacher."

"Ro Ro!" Pippa announced herself, a maid accompanying her.

"Thank you, Cass," she said to the maid, Cass. She had only recently discovered the horrors of avox's since the Plinth's moved in. She had been sent into a spiral while dining with them upon finding out some of the crimes that granted this punishment. She had taken up sign language so they might would have means of communicating to her, and feel a level of equality, and treated them as such.

"Thank you!" Pippa echoed. When Cass left Pippa turned to Rosella. "She seems nice, but she's never actually spoken to me."

"She's an avox," Rosella responded.

"A what?"

"God, you're so sheltered, Pippa," Mitch said.

"Mitch, stop. They're allegedly traitors of the capitol, so they've had their tongues cut out, so they never speak again. They're slaves. Except Cass, I pay her. And I made the Plinth's do the same."

"That's awful!"

"Don't you have servants at your place? Who works all of the parties at Hartford manor?"

"Mitch!" Rosella said warningly.

"I'm just wondering!" He defended himself.

Pippa laughed. "Well, we do, but they all talk! And you know, get paid!" Rosella smiled. She felt every family should aspire to be more like the Hartford's in their kindness, though they were not always perceived as so. People thought them to be stuck up and conceited with all of their money. "Speaking of parties, my parents were hoping they could throw the charity event we talked about in honor of your birthday! Not on the actual day of course, but they want to dedicate it to you... maybe around Christmas?"

"That's not necessary. They're doing more than enough."

"It was your idea!"

"Agreeing to host it is the best birthday present I could get," Rosella insisted.

"Well, what are the plans for the big day?"

"Already asked that, almost got beat," Mitch spoke up.

"Didn't we tell you to stop talking?" Pippa smiled sarcastically.

"Sorry, sorry, shutting up now," he smirked, returning to his book.

"We don't really celebrate my birthday," Rosella said.

"Why? I'm sure your mother would want you to," Pippa said sympathetically.

"I guess... we also just never had a lot of money for any celebrations until the whole Plinth Prize thing," she gestured to the new and expensive furnishings surrounding the apartment. Mrs. Plinth had it all redone for no reason in particular. Rosella did not enjoy taking their money, but they often gave it without a prompt or reason.